F1 rule changes approved amid coronavirus disruption

PARIS — Rule changes aimed at adding flexibility to the heavily disrupted Formula One season during the coronavirus outbreak were approved on Tuesday.

The first eight of 22 scheduled races this year have been called off, with the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and the showpiece Monaco GP cancelled altogether.

There is currently no start date for the season, with the next races scheduled to be Canada on June 14, France on June 28 and Austria on July 5. Postponed races could be rescheduled later this year, if the championship gets underway.

One main change means that governing body FIA and series owner F1 can modify the race calendar without a consultation process and vote, in order to save time with quick calls.

FIA president Jean Todt has authority “to take any decisions in connection with” F1 and other international competitions in matters of urgency. The FIA can also change rules with 60 per cent approval from the teams rather than unanimity.

Regarding technical rules, the 10 F1 teams are banned from doing any aerodynamic development this year with regards to the 2022 season.

A previously announced delaying of the 2021 rule changes until 2022, for cost-saving purposes, was officially approved.

The one exception to this rule delay is that the banning of the dual axis steering system, which Mercedes unveiled in preseason testing, starts from 2021.

The DAS helps the Mercedes car’s cornering and reduces its tire wear. On-board footage showed world champion Lewis Hamilton pulling the steering wheel back and forth on the front straight, apparently changing the angle of the front wheels. Other teams were caught cold by the innovation.

Also, the permitted amount of engine-part changes are modified to take into account the lesser number of races. There is now also a mandatory three-week factory shutdown period

Read More

Fury hungry to repeat Wilder win in rematch

Tyson Fury punches Deontay Wilder during their Heavyweight bout for Wilder’s WBC and Fury’s lineal heavyweight title on February 22, 2020 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Al Bello/Getty Images/AFP

Tyson Fury says he will never tire of beating Deontay Wilder in anticipation of his third fight against the American heavyweight, even though his potential all-British showdown with Anthony Joshua is on hold for now.

Following a controversial draw in December 2018, Fury overpowered Wilder in Las Vegas in February, beating him in seven rounds.

Wilder has activated the rematch clause in his contract, delaying the possibility of a hugely anticipated unification bout between WBC champion Fury and Anthony Joshua, who holds the WBA, IBF and WBO titles.

It is now hoped Fury and Wilder will meet for a third bout later this year after the original date of July 18 was scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’ll be obliged to give him a bit more,” Fury told the Good Morning Britain television programme on Tuesday. “You never tire of beating Deontay Wilder. It’s one of those things you take great pride in doing.

“I really did what I said I was going to do and not many people, in boxing especially, say something and then do exactly what they were going to do.”

Fury, unbeaten as a professional, added: “So I was quite proud of the performance and I’m really looking forward to getting all this coronavirus out of the way and the world getting back on track and getting back to my job.”

With regular training not possible due to a lockdown in Britain, Fury has been working out alongside wife Paris and his five children in fitness sessions broadcast on Instagram Live.

“It helps me stay in shape and helps many, many people

Read More

Rob Gronkowski: From the Super Bowl to WrestleMania

It may not be the WrestleMania 36 we were expecting this weekend, but for one man it is still going to be a dream come true.

Robbed of the usual razzmatazz surrounding WWE’s showpiece annual event due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, the Showcase of the Immortals will still go ahead, but behind closed doors in the Performance Centre, with NFL legend Rob Gronkowski, as the special guest host.

A man no stranger to the WWE after his appearance at WrestleMania 33, Gronkowski will be fronting the show in these most special of circumstances.

Ahead of this weekend’s spectacular he revealed more about his time in, and out, of the ring.

What made you want to come to WWE?

I have been a fan and watching since I was in second grade. My dad brought me to the matches when they came to Buffalo and I was a huge fan of “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, D-Generation X and Val Venis. To be part of an atmosphere that I grew up watching is an honor. On top of that, to get the chance to work with my good friend Mojo Rawley is a dream come true.

You played football with some of the most elite players in the game. How has competing alongside the GOAT (Tom Brady) and other football greats prepared you to compete with some of the best athletes in WWE?

 Playing football in the NFL and being around the best of the best has definitely prepared me for WrestleMania. You can’t just walk out on the field and expect to be ready to compete….you have to practice, workout and know your plays. It’s the same thing for WrestleMania….I can’t expect to go out there and jump off the top rope or cut a promo…everything is about practice and

Read More