The complete fast bowler: From James Anderson’s swing to Jasprit Bumrah’s variations

Among cricket’s many facets and intricacies, the art of fast bowling is one of the more intriguing ones.

From the manner in which they line up with their extensive run-ups to the menacing stare-down at the batsman after a troubling delivery, fast bowlers have always captivated attention throughout the history of the game.

For a batsman, nothing is more intimidating than facing a hostile spell of fast bowling on a minefield of a pitch. Be it their barrage of threatening bouncers or toe-crushing yorkers, pacers have the ability to unsettle batsmen like no others.

It is not an easy art to perfect by any means and comes with a heavy price to boot. With the enormous physical strain they exert on their bodies, particularly their backs, fast bowlers are the most injury-prone in cricket. The fear factor they instill on the opponent, along with their risk of injuries makes fast bowlers one of the more precious commodities in the game of cricket.

Fast bowling is not a one-dimensional art form involving hurtling down deliveries at express pace. The greatest fast bowlers in the history of the game have always had other skillsets up their sleeves, including the ability to swing and seam the cricket ball. It is a varied art after all, with each fast bowler having a unique armoury at his disposal.

While some rely more on pure pace, others rely on movement. Then there are those who maintain extremely tight lines and lengths, while there are some who have an array of variations in their arsenal.

It is difficult to really define what a complete fast bowler is with the many intricacies to the art. Here, we try our best to construct one using the best traits of some of the top fast bowlers in the business currently.

Read More

Report: Wimbledon 2020’s fate to be decided Wednesday

A meeting of the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) board on Wednesday will determine whether the Wimbledon tennis championships will be held this season, but a top tennis official in Germany says there is “no doubt” the tournament will be cancelled.

Dirk Hordorff, vice-president of the German Tennis Federation, told Sky Sports that “The necessary decisions have already been made there and Wimbledon will decide to cancel on Wednesday.”

“This is necessary in the current situation,” he added. “It is completely unrealistic to imagine that, with the travel restrictions that we currently have, an international tennis tournament where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world would travel [can happen]. That is unthinkable.”

AELTC announced last week that it was considering all options for the early summer tournament in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. The two-week tournament is scheduled to begin June 29, but preparations start as early as April.

On March 18, both the ATP and WTA tennis federations announced the entire clay-court season had been cancelled and play would not resume until at least June 7. Player ranking points have also been frozen until June 7. The French Open, which is the final event on the clay-court schedule, moved from its May 24 start date to Sept. 20.

Wimbledon was last cancelled during the Second World War.

With files from the Associated Press.

Source link Read More

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko says he proposed F1 COVID-19 camp

VIENNA — Red Bull motorsport adviser Helmut Marko has proposed holding a training camp where Formula One drivers could get infected by the new coronavirus — an idea rejected by the team.

Marko told Austrian public broadcaster ORF on Sunday he wanted to gather drivers while the F1 season was suspended.

“We have four Formula One drivers, we have eight or 10 juniors and the idea was to hold a camp where we could bridge this rather dead time mentally and physically,” Marko said.

“And then it would be ideal, because these are all young, strong men in really good health, if the infection comes then. Then they would be equipped, if it starts up again, for a really hard world championship.”

Marko said the idea “was not accepted positively” within Red Bull and was abandoned.

It wasn’t immediately clear if by “four Formula One drivers” Marko meant Red Bull’s two drivers and two reserves, or the two drivers from sister team Alpha Tauri.

Marko praised Red Bull driver Max Verstappen for throwing himself into the world of online racing to stay sharp, and said the drivers were focusing on their fitness.

“Max Verstappen is having more races than in a regular season,” Marko said. “If we come to a season with 15 or 18 races, it will be very hard and there won’t be a chance to rebuild the conditioning.”

The first eight races of the season have been cancelled or postponed, leaving the Canadian Grand Prix in June as the first event still on the schedule. That could be followed by a packed string of scheduled and rearranged races.

The season-opening Australian GP was cancelled.

The 76-year-old Marko, who raced in F1 in the 1970s, acknowledged he could be at risk for COVID-19.

“I belong to the high

Read More