Neymar welcome anytime at Barca, says Suarez

FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, from Argentine, right, Neymar, from Brazil, center, and Luis Suarez, from Uruguay, celebrate after scoring against Atletico Madrid during a Spanish La Liga football match at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain, Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015. AP

Neymar “will always be welcome” back at Barcelona, the Spanish giants’ striker Luis Suarez told Mundo Deportivo on Wednesday.

Neymar left Barca in a world record move to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017 but has been persistently linked to a possible return to the Camp Nou.

Suarez told the paper: “Everybody knows ‘Ney’, we all know the affection we have for him in the dressing room.

“His ability is indisputable and he still has so much to show. He will always be welcome in the changing room, we appreciate him a lot.”

Suarez, 33, recovering from right knee surgery, said it was “complicated” to talk about players joining Barca at this time of crisis with the coronavirus pandemic.

“But I can talk about players, and these are huge players,” he commented when asked by the paper to discuss the rumours linking the 28-year-old Neymar with a Barca return.

The Uruguayan also had warm words for Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez, the 22-year-old Argentine whose name also been associated with a move to Catalonia.

“Lautaro is a player who is progressing in Italy, he is a flexible centre-forward, with spectacular moves and that shows what a great a striker he is.”

Questioned about how any eventual new signings would fit in Suarez said: “There will always be a healthy rivalry between us, and while we are all focused on the same objective, that is winning, any players who come in to help the team achieve its aims will always be welcome.”

He then turned to last week’s deal with the club

Read More

Why COVID-19 could end up being the catalyst for the creation of a European Super League

At the present moment, the only priority for professional clubs is somehow finding a way to finish the current season without simultaneously completely derailing the 2020/21 campaign.

In his typically forthright style, La Liga president Javier Tebas has been more upfront than any other administrator, admitting that a failure to finish the season would come with a financial cost in the region of €1 billion. Forfeiting such a sum is not an option, and it’s clear that doing whatever it takes to get the necessary games played is the only present preoccupation for the game’s hierarchy.

When the dust settles, however, thoughts will turn to the future – and specifically towards how leagues and clubs can protect themselves against the likelihood of similar crises in the future.

One possibility is that recent events will have a levelling effect, bringing together a diverse range of interests for the greater good of the game. The four German clubs competing in this season’s Champions League, for example, have already announced they will each donate €20 million to ease the burden on other Bundesliga clubs, giving a hopeful sign that an altruistic ‘We’re all in this together’ mentality could flourish in the coming weeks.

Sadly, though, it’s unlikely that such a generous spirit will prevail for too long. Unless there is very strong leadership from the top of the game – which seems highly unlikely considering the questionable ethical practices of FIFA and UEFA – it won’t be long before we witness a return to the dominance of naked self-interest, which is in many ways inherent within the ultra-competitive environment of professional sport.

Realistically, it is unavoidable to accept that the needs and demands of Barcelona, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool are very different from those of Eibar, Sassuolo, Nantes and Watford.

Those in

Read More

LOOK: Jewel Mische gives birth to second child

MANILA, Philippines — Actress Jewel Mische has given birth to her second child with husband Alister Kurzer.

Mische announced Tuesday, April 7 that the family welcomed Emerald “Emrie” Jade Kurzer last April 3. She posted pictures on Instagram of the baby girl swaddled in a floral green blanket with her name.

Baby Emrie was born 18.5 inches, weighing 7 pounds and 10 ounces, according to Mische.

“I’m good, just sore & exhausted. #HeartisFull #SoThankful,” she said of her condition.

Mische, who was the season 4 winner of GMA’s talent search show “StarStruck”, shared last December that she was expecting a second child.

She had her first child in July 2018. Mische and Kurzer have been married since 2015.

EDV

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Source link Read More