Four-time F1 champ Vettel leaving Ferrari at the end of 2020

MARANELLO, Italy — Four-time Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel is leaving Ferrari at the end of the year by mutual consent.

“In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony,” Vettel said on Tuesday. “The team and I have realized that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season.”

Vettel’s existing contract earns him $40 million per year.

“Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision,” Vettel said. “That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices and it never will be.”

The 32-year-old German driver joined Ferrari in 2015 to replace Fernando Alonso, but was unable to add to the world championship titles he won at Red Bull.

The F1 season was suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, three days before the first scheduled race in Australia.

Of Vettel’s 53 career wins, only 14 came with Ferrari, including only one last year.

Vettel led the championship at the halfway stage in 2017 and 2018, but a series of clumsy mistakes — including one from pole position and another while comfortably leading the race — proved costly. Vettel was also not helped by erratic and sometimes conflicting team orders, although by the same token his win last year at Singapore was because orders went in his favour over Charles Leclerc.

The speedy rise to ascension of Leclerc at Ferrari proved difficult to handle for Vettel last year. Despite being in his debut season with Ferrari, and only his second in F1, Leclerc won more races than Vettel and even beat world champion Lewis Hamilton 7-5 for most pole positions.

It led to tension within Ferrari, which reached a breaking point in November

Read More

Mike Tyson says ‘I’m back’ in latest video

FILE – Former world boxing champion Mike Tyson poses during a news conference to announce India’s first global mixed martial arts Kumite 1 league in Mumbai on September 28, 2018. (Photo by PUNIT PARANJPE / AFP)

MANILA, Philippines — Mike Tyson kept fueling talks of a comeback after posting another training video on his Instagram.

The 25-second clip shows a montage of videos of Tyson ferociously punishing the pads with renowned MMA trainer Rafael Cordeiro.

At the end of the video, Tyson uttered the words: “I’m back.”

The 53-year-old Tyson has been making headlines again after expressing his interest do fight again for charity.

Tyson, the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing history, retired in 2005 before appearing in the ring a year later in a series of exhibition matches.

He won his first world title on November 22, 1986 when he was just 20 years old after demolishing 33-year-old Trevor Berbick in just two rounds for the WBC belt.

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Source link Read More

Ansu Fati to be Barcelona’s new hero and Phil Foden primed to fill David Silva void

Football is cyclical in nature and personnel changes are inevitable but losing a key player that’s served the team for a significant period can have a lasting impact.

The best course of action is to have a successor within the squad ready to step into the shoes of their senior team-mate and ensure a smooth transition into the next era which helps keep systems and formations intact.

Many clubs plan diligently for such events, ensuring an established star has someone to pass the torch to.

Here, we look at some of these succession plans unfolding right now.

BARCELONA | Ansu Fati succeeding Lionel Messi

His career may be in its infancy but Ansu Fati is already being hailed as the heir to Lionel Messi’s throne at Barcelona, and with good reason. The youngster has made a huge impact in his first few appearances, bursting onto the scene with some special performances before becoming a regular under new boss Quique Setien. Fati has the talent and capacity to flourish anywhere in the final third while showing maturity and composure beyond his years.

Not only does he boast the exciting dribbling ability and audacious skill Messi did when he first emerged but the 17-year-old is already generating a healthy output with five goals and an assist. The main reason why Fati could be the Argentine’s worthy successor is the commitment they both share towards training and the humility with which they do the extraordinary on the pitch.

It’s no secret that Messi is fond of the burgeoning talent and has taken him under his wing with his brother and manager serving as Fati’s advisor.

Messi: “I really like him [Fati] and I try to help and support him. He’s an amazing player and he’s got what it takes to succeed. But if

Read More