The UFC Hall of Famer gives his takes on Anthony Smith’s corner not throwing in the towel against Glover Teixeira, how the fighters feel about the COVID-19 safety measures, the combats in an empty arena, Jon Jones expressing interest in a fight against Francis Ngannou, and what it was like fighting Jones.
The professional tennis tours extended their suspensions caused by the coronavirus pandemic through at least the end of July on Friday, bringing the total number of scrapped tournaments around the world to more than 40.
In addition to the ATP and WTA announcements, which also affect lower-tier events, the International Tennis Federation said its tournaments would go on hiatus for the same period, including for juniors, seniors and wheelchair players.
Further updates to the sport’s calendar are expected to be revealed in about a month.
The tours already had been on hold at least until July 13, a decision announced on April 1, the same day the All England Club said it would be cancelling Wimbledon for the first time in 75 years.
That made Wimbledon the first Grand Slam tournament wiped out because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
The start of the 2020 French Open has been postponed from late May to late September. The U.S. Open is expected to make a decision on its status for this year sometime in June.
The U.S. Tennis Association has been weighing various options for its hard-court tournament, which is scheduled to begin main-draw play on Aug. 31, including staging it without spectators or moving it out of its home in New York to another state entirely.
Friday’s announcement by the tours eliminated more than 10 events from the tennis calendar, including the post-Wimbledon grass-court Hall of Fame Open in Newport, Rhode Island, and a hard-court U.S. Open tuneup in Atlanta.
Among the other tournaments affected by Friday’s decision are those located in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Mexico and Romania.
In addition to the cancellation of its July 11-18 tournament, the International Tennis Hall of Fame also said Friday that its 2020 induction ceremony for Goran Ivanisevic and Conchita Martinez is being called off.
MANILA, Philippines—A fashion chief has joined ONE Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong’s judging panel for the mixed martial arts promotion’s business reality show.
Ankiti Bose, the Co-Founder and CEO of Zilingo, is one of the 12 guest judges in The Apprentice: ONE Championship Edition and will also mentor the 16 contestants in the business and physical competitions of the show.
“Ankiti is a truly inspiring young woman who was able to convert her dream into reality. Her business acumen is absolutely incredible and I have no doubt she will be a huge inspiration for our 16 contestants. I am excited to have Ankiti on the show,” said Sityodtong.
Zilingo is an online fashion marketplace and has its headquarters in Singapore, whre ONE Championship holds its main office.
Bose started Zilingo in 2015, at the age of 23, with Dhruv Kapoor and, according to BusinessToday.com, the company is now valued at $970 million.
“I am thrilled to join Chatri on the show. It will be one of the most exhilarating experiences for the contestants and we look forward to discovering some of the brightest minds among them,” said Bose.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.