City of Malmo set to relocate vandalized Ibrahimovic statue

FILE – In this Sunday Jan. 5, 2020 file photo, the damaged statue of soccer player Zlatan Ibrahimovic next to Stadion football arena in Malmo, Sweden. Media reports say the city of Malmo has had enough of repeated acts of vandalism on Swedish soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s statue outside the local football club’s stadium and is set to move it to a new location. The Sydsvenskan newspaper said the municipal council in Sweden’s third largest city is poised to make a decision on Monday, May 17, 2020 and is seeking suggestions from top-flight team Malmo FF as to where the statue should be moved later in the year.(Johan Nilsson/TT via AP, file)

The city of Malmo has had enough of the repeated acts of vandalism on soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s statue outside the local football club’s stadium and wants it transferred to a new location.

The Sydsvenskan newspaper said Saturday that the municipal council in Sweden’s third largest city is poised to make a decision on Monday and is seeking suggestions from top-flight team Malmo FF as to where the statue should be moved later in the year.

In an emailed comment to The Associated Press, Anders Malmstrom, City of Malmo’s media spokesman, confirmed the plan. He said a council working committee will propose Monday that “the statue should stay in Malmo but get a different location than at the (Swedbank) Stadium.”

The club’s CEO Niclas Carlnen told the Sydsvenskan newspaper he wasn’t aware of the city’s plans and wouldn’t comment on the matter. Malmstrom did not say whether the Malmo club had been briefed on the issue.

The 500-kilogram (1,100-pound) bronze statue of Ibrahimovic, who now plays for AC Milan, was unveiled in October to much fanfare outside Malmo’s stadium, commemorating one of Sweden’s greatest sports stars.

Created by

Read More

What happens when former India spinner Anil Kumble bowls to David Warner?

Nothing is more fascinating in cricket than an exhilarating and equal contest between a batsman and a bowler.

Duels between two players at the top of their games always makes for a fascinating rivalry, and cricket has been blessed to witness several of these over the course of its history. From Sachin Tendulkar against Glenn McGrath to Sir Viv Richards versus Jeff Thompson, the sport has seen legendary battles played out across the 22 yards.

However, there are some duels which sound exciting in theory, but shall never materialise. These are between players divided by eras, with their respective playing careers failing to intertwine.

In this series, we play out a few such hypothetical match-ups by closely examining the statistics of the players involved. Below, we pit Australia’s explosive opener David Warner against former India leg-spin stalwart Anil Kumble in the Test format.

David Warner (Left-hand bat)

Playing career: 2011-ongoing

Test innings: 155

Runs: 7244

Centuries: 24

Average: 48.94

When it comes to the best all-format batsmen in the world currently, David Warner is right up there with the ‘Fab Four’ of Virat Kohli, Joe Root, Steve Smith and Kane Williamson. Surprisingly though, his greatest success so far have in the Test whites of Australia.

Despite earning his maiden Australia call-up as a T20 specialist in 2009, Warner’s powers of adaptability has seen him become a whirlwind success in the five-day format.

Although his career has often been overshadowed by controversies such as the Newlands ball-tampering scandal, there is no denying that the southpaw has been the best performing Test opener since his introduction for Australia.

Only the second opener in history after Sunil Gavaskar to register three consecutive tons twice in his career, Warner has eclipsed several landmarks on his way to accumulating 24 Test centuries. He gained entry

Read More

Holyfield confirms talks with Tyson for 3rd fight

FILE – Former boxing champion Evander Holyfield (L) is inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame by fellow ex-champion Mike Tyson at the second annual induction gala at the New Tropicana Las Vegas on August 9, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP

MANILA, Philippines—A third clash between great rivals and former undisputed heavyweight champions Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson is in the works more than two decades after their last encounter.

Appearing in The 3 Point Conversation podcast, Holyfield, the winner of the past two bouts, revealed that talks have been on going between his camp and Tyson’s for a potential exhibition match for charity.

“His people have been talking to my people and we haven’t yet gotten a solid deal together but it’s coming that way,” said Holyfield in the podcast as posted on boxingscene.com.

“If it happens, then that’s no problem. The thing is, he was doing something and I was doing something. When I told people about it, they saw me working out and they kind of put two and two together. They must be coming together to do this like this. But the fact of the matter is, I don’t mind if we do something like this.”

Tyson, 53, has released several training clips on his Instagram account showcasing his speed and devastating power that made him “The Baddest Man on the Planet” during his heyday during the late 1980s to the early 1990s where he was simply an unstoppable force.

He also proclaimed, “I’m back” in his last video.

The 57-year-old Holyfield, likewise, has posted his own boxing videos through his Instagram.

Holyfield scored an 11th-round stoppage in their first meeting in 1996. He won again seven months later in a rematch after Tyson got disqualified for biting his ear twice in

Read More