Pacquiao could face Golovkin, says former trainer Roach

Trainer Freddie Roach looks at prized fighter Manny Pacquiao. Photo by Wendell Alinea/MP Promotions

MANILA, Philippines—Freddie Roach may not be the main man in Manny Pacquiao’s corner, but no one man knows the boxing legend any better.

The partnership started in 2001 and was slowly rekindled in 2019 saw Pacquiao become one of the all-time greats winning titles from the super bantamweight to the light-middleweight divisions, and now Roach is predicting that the Pacman could very well move up to another weight class against a foe who’s become one of the pound-for-pound sensations of the 2010s.

In an interview with DAZN’s Boxing With Chris Mannix, the Hall of Fame trainer said that Pacquiao is better off fighting IBF World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin instead of defending his WBA Super World welterweight title against Mikey Garcia.

“One thing about Manny, he doesn’t just want to beat anybody he wants to beat the best out there,” said Roach in the interview. “He wants to fight the top guys. I like that fight.”

Pacquiao’s chief trainer now is childhood friend Buboy Fernandez but Roach is still an influential voice in the boxer’s corner.

A fight against Golovkin is certainly an alluring prospect for Pacquiao who was already in a league of his own when he became a World champion in seven weight classes when he defeated Miguel Cotto for the WBO welterweight title in 2009, and he has since become an eight-division champion after defeating Antonio Margarito for the WBC super welterweight strap in 2010.

“But the thing is, Manny might want to go a little bit higher and fight GGG or one of those guys who’s supposed to be the best. I would not advise him to go to 160 pounds, no. That would be a little crazy. But putting him at

Read More

Qatar completes third World Cup stadium

A picture taken during a media tour organised by Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy on May 18, 2019, of construction work at the site of the future Education City Stadium in Doha. (Photo by Karim ABOU MERHI / AFP)

Qatar announced the completion of its third stadium for the 2022 World Cup, state media reported late Thursday, as the emirate prepared to mark three years of a regional feud.

Education City stadium had been due to host the semi-final of the Club World Cup on December 18, but its opening was postponed because of delays to certification.

“The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy and the Qatar Foundation announce the completion of the preparations for the third FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium, located in Education City,” the state-run Qatar News Agency reported.

The Education City ground, named for the surrounding university and research campuses, will host fixtures through to the quarter-finals.

After the tournament, half of its 40,000 seats will be donated to build stadiums in developing countries.

Two and a half years before the World Cup kicks off, Qatar has already launched the brand new 40,000-capacity Al-Janoub stadium and the refurbished Khalifa International ground.

Five new stadiums remain under construction.

Friday marked the third anniversary of a Saudi-led effort to isolate Qatar over claims it supports radical Islamist movements and is too close to Iran. Doha denies the claims.

On June 5, 2017, Saudi Arabia along with Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt cut diplomatic ties, closed their airspace and borders to Qatar and severed economic links.

Despite several signs of reconciliation, including Saudi, the UAE and Bahrain participating in a regional football tournament in Doha last year, the dispute remains deadlocked.


Read Next


EDITORS’ PICK


MOST READ

Heart Evangelista replies to ‘out of touch privileged’ remark: ‘Using my image to create hate is wrong’

Heart Evangelista. Image: Instagram/@iamhearte

Actress Heart Evangelista reacted to harsh criticism about her being an “out of touch privileged” individual amid the COVID-19 crisis. She said the comment caused her “so much sadness,” adding she has not done anything wrong.

A netizen had called out Evangelista on Twitter for her “distasteful” posts on social media that showed her wearing fashionable personal protective equipment (PPE) and labeling it as the “new normal.” The critic said that Evangelista’s new normal–with her branded clothes, styled hair and expensive jewelry–did not “reflect the realities of what we’re all facing right now.”

“The out of touch privileged, in the context of race and class, is a problem not only in the [United States,] but in the Philippines as well,” a certain @pilar_recto posted via Twitter last Wednesday, June 3.

The netizen showed two screengrabs from Evangelista’s Instagram page: one displaying Evangelista’s complete post and the other showing the netizen’s comment to it.

The actress donned a dark green branded PPE and used the hashtag #TheNewNormalwithLoveMarie on Instagram.

“Your hashtag and posts are so problematic…,” @pilar_recto commented. “Wake up, Heart. You have the platform, power, and position to do something relevant and different for people.”

Evangelista replied to the netizen’s Twitter post today, June 5.

“YOU have caused me so much sadness,” she said. “I [honestly] don’t know what to do about myself. [For two days,] you’ve been at it.”

“I express myself through my art and fashion,” she added. “I have not done anything wrong. Using my image to create hate is wrong.” Nevertheless, Evangelista wished the netizen well.

Read More