Hopkins would rather have Pacquiao’s legacy than Mayweather’s

FILE – Bernard Hopkins attends “Creed II” New York Premiere at AMC Loews Lincoln Square on November 14, 2018 in New York City. John Lamparski/Getty Images/AFP

MANILA, Philippines—Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are arguably the greatest boxers of their generation, but from fighting style to career paths, the two are quite different.

Pacquiao ran amok through eight divisions, facing whoever top fighter he could land his fists on while Mayweather solidified himself as one of the savviest boxers and was even criticized for choosing who of his potential opponents can provide the biggest pay day.

But for the legendary boxer Bernard Hopkins, Pacquiao’s legacy and choice of opponents are more appealing than Mayweather’s, saying that it’s not about the money.

“I’d rather have Manny Pacquiao’s legacy than Floyd Mayweather’s,” Hopkins told The Ring Magazine. “Manny fought everybody and Floyd fought guys (on his watch).”

Hopkins (55-8-2, 32 knockouts), a former undisputed middleweight champion and a two-time Ring Magazine light heavyweight champion, said that although Mayweather carefully chose who he fought, it’s unfair to say that he ducked his opponents.

“Manny fought who his promoter wanted him to fight,” said Hopkins. “And Floyd fought the guys that were financially lucrative.”

“I don’t think Floyd gave two you-know-whats about how people feel whether he fought the best guys or not. It was strictly business for Floyd.”

Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs) was the first and only boxer to win World titles in seven divisions when he defeated Miguel Cotto in 2009 for the WBO World welterweight title, he also added the special WBC Diamond welterweight belt.

The Filipino ring icon then reached insurmountable levels when he bludgeoned Antonio Margarito in 2010 to take the WBC World super welterweight title to become the only boxer to have won championships in eight weight classes.

Read More

Saudi Professional League receives official resumption date in boost for Middle East football

Bafetimbi Gomis (EPA).

The 2019/20 Saudi Professional League is set for a thrilling five-week sprint to the finish after authorities set a return date of August 4.

An overnight meeting determined the Middle East’s premier club competition’s fate, ruling out cancellation and moving kick-off forwards from last month’s provisional proposal of August 20. It was indefinitely suspended on March 14, a week after fans were banned from the stands, amid increasing measures to curb coronavirus’ spread.

An announcement from the Saudi Arabian Football Federation in the early hours of Friday morning added the season should finish on September 9. Supporters will still not be allowed in stadiums, substitutions shall rise from three to five per game in line with temporary FIFA regulations and training can resume from June 21 – courtesy of the Ministry of Sports’ earlier declaration – in adherence to stringent health measures.

Burgeoning excitement about the announcement was illustrated by the hashtag عودة_الدوري_السعودي# (“The return of the Saudi League”) swiftly becoming the top trend on the Kingdom’s Twitter, with more than 30,000 tweets sent within an hour. Leading marksman Abderrazak Hamdallah, of Al Nassr, posted a jubilant picture on Instagram Stories of his team-mates celebrating in front of fans and wrote “Hey, hey, hey” to his 574,000 followers.

Al Hilal hold a six-point lead over champions Nassr, with eight matches in arrears. Al Fateh, Damac and Al Adalah reside in the relegation zone.

Many of the competition’s foreign stars now face a complex return trip after special dispensation was granted in April to return to their home countries.

The new dates were selected in line with AFC measures to finish the suspended 2020 Champions League before December’s Club World Cup and October’s restart of second-round World Cup 2022 qualifiers.

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health has reported 116,021

Read More

Raptors Uprising GC beats Blazer5 Gaming to extend NBA 2K League unbeaten start


You can check out the NBA 2K League every Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. ET on Sportsnet ONE and Sportsnet NOW.


Star point guard Kenneth (Kenny Got Work) Hailey led the way as Raptors Uprising GC rallied in overtime in the deciding game Thursday to down Blazer5 Gaming and preserve its unbeaten record in NBA 2K League esports play.

The Raptors (8-0) had a slow start, losing 57-50 after being outscored 15-4 in the final quarter of Game 1 before rallying to win Game 2 convincingly 101-55. Toronto won the rubber match 75-70 in OT, snuffing out a Blazers comeback as Portland (4-5) lost its fifth straight.

The Blazers trailed 52-45 after three quarters in Game 3 but forced overtime after a late charge knotted the score at 61-61. Portland outscored Toronto 14-9 in the fourth.

Down 59-58, Blazers star point guard Nidal (Mama Im Dat Man) Nasser tied it with a free throw but missed his second attempt. He redeemed himself with a late bucket to force OT and finished the game with 44 points.

It was all Toronto in overtime, starting with back-to-back three-pointers.

The Raptors came into play Thursday as the league’s only unbeaten team after Warriors Gaming Squad lost to Jazz Gaming on Wednesday to drop to 6-1.

The win extended Toronto’s franchise-record win streak to eight and matched its single-season wins total with eight games remaining. The Raptors finished with an 8-6 record in the inaugural 2018 season and went 8-8 last season.

The series featured a battle of elite points guards with Nasser, the 2019 league MVP, facing Hailey, who has earned a player of the month and two player of the week awards this season.

Hailey totalled 103 points over the three games Thursday while Nasser had 102.

The Blazer5 roster also

Read More