Popeye Jones on his hockey-loving sons, the NBA’s return and racial justice

Life’s been pretty hectic for Popeye Jones of late — and not just because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Currently an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers, Jones — an 11-season NBA veteran with six different teams, including the Toronto Raptors — has been keeping busy with his job and a 10-month-old for a little while now, and the novel coronavirus rearing its ugly head only proved to complicate matters a little more.

And now, with the NBA set to return at Walt Disney World at the end of July, and a historic movement for racial justice marching forward every day, there’s even more on Jones’ plate to think about.

Sportsnet recently managed to catch up with Jones where, among other topics, he weighed in on the debate about whether NBA players should play during this time of civil unrest, the NBA’s return-to-play plan and his two famous NHL hockey-playing sons, Seth Jones of the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Edmonton Oilers’ Caleb Jones.

Note: This interview has been edited for clarity.

You’re an assistant with the Pacers. What have you done to stay busy from a coaching perspective in this social distancing world we live in?

Popeye Jones: I’ve just been participating in virtual coaching clinics that people are hosting online, studying film, studying not only our team but other teams and international teams. And listening to NBA coaches talk about basketball, international coaches talk about basketball and having phone conversations with other coaches to talk about the game. Just trying to get better in my mind and trying to keep my mind fresh and engaged in the game of basketball.

In regards to your team, Victor Oladipo had just recently returned from a bad knee injury last year and was looking pretty good. What’s he looking like

Read More

Postponed Casimero fight still ‘certainly possible’ for Inoue

FILE – Naoya Inoue raises his Ali trophy after outpointing Nonito Donaire. WBSS PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Undefeated Japanese champion Naoya Inoue could still return in the ring later this year after the COVID-19 pandemic derailed what would’ve been his Las Vegas debut in April.

In a report from BoxingScene.com, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said that Inoue’s handlers are expected to fly the reigning IBF and WBA world bantamweight champion to the United States some time in September.

Inoue’s flight to Las Vegas in September could pave the way for his debut in Sin City where he was supposed to take on WBO world bantamweight champion John Riel Casimero in a unification bout last April 25.

“We expect Inoue over here in September,” Arum said. “Talking to [Hideyuki] Ohashi, his manager, and Honda, his [other] promoter, they tell us that they’ll have him over in the United States in September. So, we’re looking to put him in a fight in September or October,” said Arum who is co-promoter of Inoue together with Akihiko Honda.

Arum said that with Casimero (29-4, 20 KOs) being stuck in Las Vegas for several months now, rescheduling his bout against Inoue (19-0, 16 KOs) could be taken care of.

“That is certainly possible,” said Arum. “That’s still out there. There’s no question about it.”

Although boxing events are still strictly limited to just the participants and the ones running the show, Arum hopes that audiences will slowly be allowed come October albeit in a limited capacity to maintain social distancing.

“By that time we’ll be able to do fights with limited audiences because his great value in the United States is that he has all of these Japanese high rollers that will come to his fights,” said Arum.

“Whether they live in the United

Read More

Kris Aquino on dad Ninoy this Father’s Day: ‘I’ve much to learn about humility, self-sacrifice, service’

Image: Instagram/@krisaquino

Kris Aquino expressed that helping her countrymen rise again is the “best Father’s Day gift” she can give to her late dad, former Senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino.

She made the remark while looking back on one of their trips to the United States back in 1980, as seen on her Instagram page yesterday, June 20.

The post featured an old clip of her and her dad taken by the Associated Press, which her nephews Jiggy and Jonty found on YouTube. The video showed Kris, at 9 years old, handing her dad a black pouch while appearing to give him instructions. Luther Vandross’ 2003 hit “Dance with My Father” also played over the nostalgic moment.

Kris explained that it was shot at an airport when they were leaving for the United States for the late senator’s triple heart bypass surgery, which was followed by their three-year stay in Boston.

“Opo, ganun ako ka ‘confident’ na bata, at just 9 years old may ‘binibilin’ ako sa Dad namin na mga dapat nyang gawin,” Kris said.

(Yes, that is how “confident” of a child I was, at just 9 years old I was already “requesting” to our Dad things he should do.)

Kris then noted how many, including her mother former President Corazon “Cory” Aquino, said she took after her father and was his female version. However, Kris believes that she has “so much more to learn” before she can be “truly worthy” of being likened to her father.

Pointing out how she is now just one year younger than Ninoy when he was assassinated in 1983, Kris said she still has to learn “humility, [self-sacrifice], and the willingness to serve with every drop of [her] blood.” Kris is 49 years old.

“BUT [I] share with both my parents an unwavering

Read More