Criminal case opened against FIFA president Gianni Infantino

FILE – In this Monday, Sept. 9, 2019 file photo, FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks to members of the media on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Soccer governing body FIFA says its $1.5 billion coronavirus relief plan to revive the sport and help national associations stay afloat comes with “strict compliance and audit requirements.” “This relief plan is a great example of football’s solidarity and commitment in such unprecedented times,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said Wednesday, July 29, 2020. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, file)

GENEVA — A criminal case against FIFA president Gianni Infantino was opened Thursday by a Swiss special prosecutor.

The case is connected to a meeting Infantino had with the Swiss attorney general.

The special prosecutor, Stefan Keller, closed an investigation into two complaints involving Infantino and attorney general Michael Lauber after turning up “elements that make up reprehensible behavior.”

Lauber announced his resignation last week.

Keller opened a criminal case against Infantino as well as Valais prosecutor Rinaldo Arnold, and has sought authorization to open a legal case against Lauber, too, according to a statement from the Swiss authority overseeing the federal prosecutors office.

Keller, a legal expert named to the post of special prosecutor on June 29, found that possible infractions included abuse of public office, breach of official secrecy, “assisting offenders” and “incitement to these acts,” the supervisory authority for the office of the attorney general said in its statement, adding other criminal acts and proceedings could also be considered.

Suspects in such cases benefit from a presumption of innocence in Switzerland until legal proceedings are completed.

FIFA declined to comment.

Lauber offered to resign Friday only minutes before a federal court upheld allegations that he had lied about a meeting he had with Infantino during a sprawling investigation into soccer

Read More

Nesthy Petecio No. 2 in women’s 57kg Aiba world rankings

Philippines’ Nesthy Petecio celebrates after defeating Myanmar’s Oo Nwe Ni to claim the gold medal during the 30th South East Asian Games 2019 Women’s Featherweight (57 kg). INQUIRER PHOTO/ Sherwin Vardeleon

MANILA, Philippines–World Champion Nesthy Petecio is now the second-best boxer in the Women’s Elite 57-kilogram category according to the latest world rankings released by the Amateur International Boxing Association.

Petecio racked up 1,200 points to tab the No. 2 spot behind Yu-Ting Lin of Taiwan who paces the leaderboard which has been updated for the first time since January 2019.

All of the featherweight’s points came from her gold medal run in the World Championships in Russia last Oct. 13, 2019, which also made her the second Filipino champion after Josie Gabuco’s feat in 2012.

“One more step toward Rank No. 1,” the 27-year-old pugilist from Davao del Sur, said in Filipino in a Facebook post.

“I fell short during the Olympic qualifiers,” she added. “Next time, that slot is mine.”

Petecio told the Inquirer on Thursday that she hopes to someday test her mettle against Lin.

“I really want to fight her,” she said. “She is regarded as the best in Asia, after all.”

Back in 2017, she also soared as high as No. 2 in the 54-kg division ladder.

Petecio on Thursday finally cleared quarantine protocols and rejoined her family in Digos. She was part of the crop of national athletes that were sent back to their respective provinces as the nation continues to reel from coronavirus pandemic.

“I felt recharged as soon as I was able to hug and see them,” she said of her family. “They have been my inspiration all these years, so I’m feeling full once again.

Petecio, who has been boxing for two decades, is expected to observe another 14 days

Read More

Court revives Ashley Judd’s sexual harassment case against Harvey Weinstein

Actress Ashley Judd speaks at the Milken Institute’s 21st Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California, U.S. April 30, 2018. Image: Reuters/Lucy Nicholson

A federal appeals court revived actress Ashley Judd’s sexual harassment lawsuit against disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, saying she could sue under California law over his alleged attempt to help her career in return for sexual favors.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco found on Wednesday that Weinstein had considerable power over Judd’s career in 1997, when they held a business meeting at his hotel and the alleged harassment occurred.

“By virtue of his professional position and influence as a top producer in Hollywood, Weinstein was uniquely situated to exercise coercive power or leverage over Judd, who was a young actor at the beginning of her career,” the opinion said.

The appeals court sent the case back to the lower court for further proceedings.

“This is an important victory not only for Ms. Judd but for all victims of sexual harassment in professional relationships,” said Judd’s lawyer Theodore Boutrous.

Weinstein has maintained he never sexually harassed Judd.

Harvey Weinstein

Film producer Harvey Weinstein departs Criminal Court on the first day of a sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., January 6, 2020. Image: Reuters/Brendan McDermid

Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison by a New York state court in March after his conviction for sexual assault and rape, a case that fueled the #MeToo movement.

The actress, who was not part of the New York case, sued Weinstein in April 2018 for sexual harassment under a California law barring such conduct in a “business, service or professional relationship.”

Last year, U.S. District Court Judge Philip Gutierrez dismissed that claim, finding Judd’s relationship with Weinstein was not covered by

Read More