Valtteri Bottas retained by Mercedes for next F1 season

SILVERSTONE, England — Valtteri Bottas has been retained by the Mercedes Formula One team for next season.

The Finnish driver heads into this weekend’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone 30 points adrift of teammate Lewis Hamilton in the world championship.

Hamilton’s future beyond this year has yet to be confirmed but it is expected the six-time world champion will also stay with Mercedes.

“The past few years have been all about continuous improvement, working on every aspect of my performance,” said Bottas, who has been at Mercedes since 2017. “I’m confident that today I’m the strongest I’ve ever been, but I can always raise the bar. Ever since I fell in love with F1 as a kid it’s been my dream to one day become world champion.

“I’m in the fight for the title this year and staying with Mercedes puts me in the best possible position to compete for it next season as well.”

Source link Read More

ONE champ Brandon Vera gets boost from newborn son

MANILA, Philippines—Brandon Vera can count the moments in his life that have left him speechless.

First was taking a victory inside the ONE Championship cage, and the other was welcoming his son Atreyu Timothy into the world.

Vera announced the birth of son to the world last month and the already energetic heavyweight champion found himself another source of motivation.

“I can’t describe how Atreyu was born just like I can’t describe what it’s like to win in the ONE Circle. It’s two peas in the same pod, no words would ever do that justice,” said Vera. “There was one moment when Atreyu first came out, I was in such joy that I threw my arms up in the air and looked straight up at the ceiling and started crying and smiling, thinking, ‘Wow, this is what everyone talks about.’”

Vera is an accomplished mixed martial artist having competed both in the UFC and ONE Championship. He became ONE’s inaugural heavyweight champion in just his second fight in the company when he knocked out Paul Cheng in just 26 seconds.

And being a career MMA fighter takes a lot out of one’s day, but Vera has additional motivation with his son always waiting for him to come home.

“It is easier to wake up. I can agree with this statement. I feel more motivated. I get tired less. I don’t know how and why, but that happened,” said Vera.

“Everybody keeps saying priorities change, I am not of that same mindset. Family has always been number one for me. I have been waiting for a long time to change diapers, feed the baby, and train with my child in the gym. All plans are still the same. We’re the World Champ, WE act accordingly and WE keep our title until

Read More

GAB to send notice to Filipino boxer whose pro license is expired

MANILA, Philippines—The Games and Amusements Board said it will send a notice to Filipino boxer John Moralde, whose fight in July was canceled after he tested positive for COVID-19, as his professional license is expired.

GAB Chairman Baham Mitra said Tuesday during the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum that Moralde also didn’t notify the government agency that he would be fighting in Las Vegas.

Moralde (23-3, 13 knockouts) was supposed to take on Mexico’s Alexis Del Bosque in a Top Rank card in Las Vegas, where boxers are living inside a bubble at MGM Grand, but that fight was scrapped after the Filipino slugger tested contracted the virus.

“He’s a good fighter, but the Boxing and Contact Sports of Division of GAB will send him a notice. He also didn’t tell us that he has a scheduled fight,” said Mitra in Filipino.

Mitra added that upon looking at Moralde’s records, they found out that the 26-year-old super featherweight had an expired license since 2018.

“We will write him, we will ask for his side,” said Mitra, who explained that only active licensees and those who fight in the Philippines are under GAB’s jurisdictions but they still want to ask Moralde’s team for an explanation.

Moralde fought three times in 2019, twice in the United States and once in the Philippines. He made is debut in Las Vegas.

“They [Moralde’s team] will likely say that they’re not he’s not a GAB-licensed boxer since they’re in America. What we want is just to set the record straight. If they’re really based there already, then there’s not a problem,” said Mitra. “We just have to remind them that they’re still Filipinos. Eventually when they get older, they’ll come back here and fight here.”

“It’s our job to look after their welfare.”

Mitra insisted that

Read More