German Olympic boxing team hit by COVID-19 in Austria

The German Boxing Federation on Sunday reported that a “large part” of its 25-strong Tokyo Olympic Games team has contracted Covid-19 while training in the Austrian Alps.

The group, made up of 18 boxers and seven other staff members, must now remain in quarantine at the training camp in Laengenfeld in Tirol, DBV director Michael Mueller said.

Without specifying numbers he said “a large part of the team” was affected but that everyone was doing well so far.

“The boxers are now in quarantine. They aren’t showing strong symptoms and can even keep training,” Mueller told AFP’s SID subsidiary.

The athletes’ conditions are being carefully monitored and they should be allowed to return home in the coming week, he added.

German weekly Der Spiegel had earlier reported that the boxers, who are training for the postponed Tokyo Olympics, started showing signs of a cold on Tuesday before suspicions of Covid-19 were confirmed on Wednesday.

The training camp was the team’s first foray abroad since the start of the pandemic.

German media were quick to point out that the boxers were staying at the same Laengenfeld hotel where Bundesliga football team Schalke 04 stayed in late August, and that one of their players also tested positive for the coronavirus while there.

Mueller defended the decision to take the boxing team abroad, saying they had opted for Austria because the coronavirus numbers there were low at the time.

Like other European countries, however, Austria has seen a sharp uptick in cases recently.

“We have gained some valuable experiences that we can use on our next trips,” Mueller said.

“Anyone who thinks the preparation for the Olympics can happen without any coronavirus cases, is not living in reality.”

The 2020 Games were postponed in a historic decision earlier this year because of the

Read More

Mela Habijan crowned first Miss Trans Global: ‘A childhood dream that came true’

Miss Trans Global 2020 Mela Habijan. Image: screengrab via YouTube/Miss Trans Global

Actress Mela Habijan is the first winner of international online beauty pageant Miss Trans Global.

Two other Filipinas, Maria Robethany Thompson and Niña Marie Similatan, also made it to the top 10.

The pageant welcomes transgender women and “gender-nonconforming people from all backgrounds” to showcase their talents and advocate for the trans community.

The “Manilennial” star announced her victory following the virtual coronation that streamed on YouTube yesterday, Sept. 12.

Sharing a picture of her with loved ones, she wrote, “NOT YOUR TYPICAL CROWNING MOMENT, BUT I’M HAPPY TO BE HOLDING THE HANDS OF THE BEST PEOPLE IN MY LIFE!”

PILIPINASSSS, WE WON! WE WONNNNNNN!!! WE ARE THE FIRST-EVER MISS TRANS GLOBALLLLL! LORDDDDD!!! MARAMING, MARAMING…

Mela Franco Habijan 發佈於 2020年9月12日 星期六

The trans rights advocate, who has her own online talk show “3some!”, reflected on what the pageant meant for her, in a Facebook post today, Sept. 13.

“While going through the competition, I only had one thing in mind: ‘To represent the Philippines in the best way I can.’ I really wanted to make every Filipino proud and be worthy of carrying our flag,” she said.

“This is truly a defining moment in my life — a childhood dream that came true, a celebration of my truth, a testament of the love and acceptance that I get from the world, and my little way of honoring the life and dignity of Jennifer Laude and other trans Pinays ridiculed and oppressed [by] society.”

“While there are a number of people who look down and laugh at us for being trans, I will always stand tall for my trans community. I will always try my best to represent them well,” she promised.

“And I will always live by

Read More

Nonoy, Cuajao staying put at UST for now, says agent

FILE – Mark Nonoy. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines — Mark Nonoy and Deo Cuajao are staying put at University of Santo Tomas, at least for now.

Team Phenom Sports president Jax Chua, who handles the careers of the two guards, said in a statement that Nonoy and Cuajao remain loyal to beleaguered head coach Aldin Ayo.

“Mark, ever since high school, was already with coach Aldin because it was coach Aldin himself who recruited Mark to play for UST High School,” said Chua in Filipino Sunday. “Deo, meanwhile, was recruited two weeks before the season started.”

Chua’s comments came on the heels of reports that Nonoy and Cuajao have transferred to La Salle.

Ayo has resigned from his post and is under an indefinite ban imposed by the UAAP Board following the findings on the Sorsogon bubble that saw the Growling Tigers training in the head coach’s home province amid lockdown protocols due to COVID-19.

The NCAA and UAAP champion coach, however, appealed to have a lighter punishment and it’s in this motion that the future of Nonoy and Cuajao hangs.

Chua said that they’re still waiting if UST will endorse Ayo’s appeal to the UAAP.

“We’re still waiting if UST will endorse coach Aldin’s appeal,” said Chua. “This is a difficult time for them (Nonoy and Cuajao) because of their loyalty to coach Aldin and they really want to stay at UST.”

Without Ayo at UST, Nonoy and Cuajao are waiting patiently if they should transfer or not since the enrollment period for UAAP schools are coming to a close.

The Growling Tigers have thinned out following the fallout of the Sorsogon Bubble with their former skipper CJ Cansino transferring to University of the Philippines while Rhenz Abando, Brent Paraiso, and Ira Bataller joining UST’s Dominican sister

Read More