Thesis film by Filipino students to screen in New York LGBT film fest

The official poster for “Kurozetto” (Image: Courtesy of Sheena Ycon)

A short film created by communication arts students from De La Salle University – Manila will be showing in a film festival in New York this month.

The movie, titled “Kurozetto,” is the only Filipino film to screen at the ImageOut: Rochester LGBT Film Festival 2020, which will be held on Oct. 8 to 18.  It features a young man who bumps into a Deaf female cosplayer every morning on his way to work.

A still from “Kurozetto” that shows Kristine Sanchez and Khalid Abdullah’s characters meeting at a train station (Image: Courtesy of Sheena Ycon)

It will be screening alongside productions such as the Oscar buzzer “Ammonite” starring Kate Winslet and Soairse Ronan, and the Filipino online series “Hello, Stranger.” Similar to other film events across the globe, the festival will be hosting this year’s rendition online, as per its website.

Rachel Marquez, Angelika Mozo and Sheena Ycon, who are all between the ages of 21 and 22, created the movie as their thesis project back in 2018.

The group sent their film to the organizers last month, Mozo, who conceptualized it, told INQUIRER.net yesterday, Oct. 2. Days after, they learned that their movie had been included in the event’s official lineup.

Mozo also explained that she came up with the story while looking at anime photos during her commute home from school.

Proper representation

During their pre-production process, Marquez, who identifies as gender fluid, had a major part in refining the script’s approach in representing an LGBT character. Mozo and Ycon identify as straight women.

When asked about straight people creating LGBT-related productions, Marquez said, “It’s fine, but needs proper research and interviews with members of the [LGBT] community.”

As the film’s director, she also urged others to

Read More

Leonardo hits back at Tuchel, says PSG has ‘huge team’

Paris Saint-Germain’s Brazilian sporting director Leonardo attends a training session at the Luz stadium in Lisbon on August 22, 2020 on the eve of the UEFA Champions League final football match between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich. (Photo by Manu Fernandez / POOL / AFP)

Paris Saint-Germain had no difficulties seeing off Angers in the opening game of the Ligue 1 weekend, but remarks by sporting director Leonardo after the 6-1 victory exposed smoldering problems within the club.

After the game on Friday night, in which Neymar, who scored twice, and Kylian Mbappe, who struck once, showed that the club’s stars can deliver, Leonardo spoke to journalists at the Parc des Princes and responded sharply to coach Thomas Tuchel’s criticism the day before of the club’s transfer activity.

Leonardo said that neither he nor the club “appreciated” Tuchel’s assertion that the PSG squad had been weakened since they reached the Champions League final in August.

“If someone is not happy, if he decides to stay, he must respect either the sports policy or the internal rules,” Leonardo said.

“You have to understand the moment we are all living through, these are very serious situations. Not understanding this situation, we didn’t like it. Now we’re going to address it internally.”

Tuchel complained on Thursday that the club had not done enough ahead of what promises to be an unusually demanding and compressed season. Leonardo responded that the problems created by the coronavirus extended beyond the playing field.

“Everybody has lost millions, it’s weird to talk about it. Nobody is buying, except in England, which is a world apart”, said Leonardo adding that the health crisis had cost PSG almost 100 million euros.

It was the first time that Leonardo has publicly criticized the coach, who he inherited when he took over

Read More

Nietes signs with new promoter, eyes big bouts

FILE – Philippines’ Donnie Nietes (L) poses for photographs during the weigh-in for the ‘Lifetime Boxing Fights 1’ in Macau on December 30, 2018. (Photo by Philip FONG / AFP)

MANILA, Philippines — Four-division champion Donnie Nietes is eager to pick up where he left off after signing with MTK Global and D4G Promotions.

MTK Global and D4G Promotions announced the signing of Nietes on Friday.

“I am very happy with this new step in my career. It means so much to me. Being a part of this team is brilliant and I am very grateful,” Nietes, the longest reigning Filipino world champion, said in a press release.

Nietes, who has been idle for almost two years, was free to find a new home when ALA Boxing closed shop last August after 35 years in the business.

“He’s already had tremendous success in his career having won world titles in four-weight classes, and we’re confident of securing some huge fights for him in the always-entertaining super-flyweight division,” Paul Gibson, chief strategy officer of MTK Global, said.

The 38-year-old Nietes has not returned in the ring since beating Kazuto Ioka of Japan for the WBO super flyweight title in December of 2018 in Macau.

But with another opportunity, Nietes has refocused his sights on taking on the biggest names in the division.

“I’m happy with what I’ve achieved so far. The journey has been wonderful and I will forever cherish how I worked hard in building my successful career. I’m not done yet and I am now hoping to get a fight with (Juan) Estrada, (Srisaket) Rungvisai and Chocolatito (Roman Gonzalez).

“I want to be back as soon as possible. Whether it be December or January. I am currently preparing already and I am pleased to be going back in the

Read More