Report: Clippers teammates ‘bristled’ at Kawhi Leonard’s special treatment

Year 1 of the partnership between Kawhi Leonard and the Los Angeles Clippers started with championship expectations, but ended with a blown series lead, a second-round loss to the Denver Nuggets, and the firing of veteran coach Doc Rivers.

According to The Athletic‘s Jovan Buha and Joe Vardon, Leonard’s landing in L.A. and his star status there also “eventually ruffled the feathers of some teammates because of the preferential treatment showed to him from top to bottom.”

In an article published Thursday in the wake of Tyronn Lue’s promotion from Clippers assistant to head coach, Buha and Vardon included a few details pointing to discontent that had been brewing among a few players with regards to how Rivers and the organization treated Leonard:

Players like Beverley, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams — Clippers bedrocks before the arrival of Leonard and George — bristled when Leonard was permitted to take games off to manage his body and to live in San Diego, which often led to him being late for team flights, league sources said. The team also allowed Leonard to dictate to Rivers when he could be pulled from games, among other things. Lue was on Rivers’ bench for all of this, but the Clippers were Rivers’ show. -Jovan Buha and Joe Vardon, via The Athletic

Questions of chemistry were raised this post-season, with Leonard himself pointing to just that following the Clippers’ Game 7 loss to Denver last month.

“Just got to build,” Leonard told reporters after the loss. “Build some chemistry and we’ve got to get smarter.”

Leonard pointed at the team’s struggles to make shots, and how chemistry issues and “basketball IQ” exposed that further.

“We just couldn’t make shots,” Leonard said. “Felt like we got some good looks — that’s when it comes to

Read More

Baron Geisler enlists as Navy reservist

MANILA, Philippines — Baron Geisler will be joining the naval reserve force and is set to undergo training “very soon.”

In an Instagram post on Oct. 11, the actor shared his photos at the Naval Reserve Center- Eastern Visayas in Cebu City.

“My day was such a blessing. Thank you, Abba Father for leading and guiding me to the right path. My Life is purposed to serve YOU and the people I meet on this journey,” he captioned.

“Thank you for protecting me and my family. I love You!” he said.

In the comment section of his post, he confirmed that he would go through training as a reservist.

Geisler is the latest celebrity to join the Armed Forces of the Philippines as a reserve. He follows the lead of Dingdong Dantes, Gerald Anderson, Rocco Nacino and Matteo Guidicelli, among others.

EDV


Read Next

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Source link Read More

‘I can still fight’: Folayang determined to start title bid again

Former lightweight champion Eduard Folayang. INQUIRER PHOTO/TRISTAN TAMAYO

MANILA, Philippines—Don’t count out Eduard Folayang just yet.

Team Lakay’s elder statesman may be going up in age but retirement is far from his plans as he aims to string together another run of wins to get back to the title picture.

Folayang is set to face Australia’s Antonio Caruso in ONE: Inside the Matrix on October 30 in Singapore and the two-time lightweight champion sees it as an opportunity for another potential title run.

“This is a good opportunity to start once again because we’ve been out of action for nearly eight months and now that we have this chance we’re going to take advantage of it,” said Folayang in Filipino in a Zoom conversation.

“Our first expectation was that we’ll be competing next year.”

Folayang (22-9) is on one of the worst stretches of his career going 1-3 in his last four fights, including a defeat against Shinya Aoki that saw him hand over his lightweight title to the man he beat for his first reign.

The 36-year-old’s last loss was against Pieter Buist on January 31 of this year.

Coincidentally, Caruso (7-1) started his career with seven straight wins before that run was put to a stop against Buist.

Folayang added that he has no plans of stepping away from the sport and that leaving MMA would be like taking a fish out of water.

“I still want to fight because I feel that I still haven’t released my full potential on the sport,” said  Folayang. “You can’t tell a fish that it can’t swim anymore, that’d be the same for me if someone told me that I should retire.”

“I feel like my body’s still capable. I can still fight, I’m still there.”


Read Next

Read More