Brian Ortega outclasses ‘Korean Zombie’ in return to Octagon

Brian Ortega returned to the Octagon after a nearly two-year layoff with perhaps the most complete performance of his UFC career when he defeated “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung by five-round unanimous decision on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.

Ortega hadn’t fought since losing to former featherweight champion Max Holloway in a memorable title fight back at UFC 231 in December of 2018. The 29-year-old American was an underdog for his main even bout with Jung.

“I was counted out,” Ortega said in his post-fight interview following the win. “I understand, you leave the game for two years, you get counted out. I’m here to remind everyone. It felt great to have this happen again, having your hand raised at this level is important, it’s the No. 1 thing.”

Ortega is a high-level Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and regarded as one of the most dangerous submission artists in mixed martial arts yet it was mostly his vastly improved and dynamic striking that was on display against Jung.

All in all, Ortega outlanded Jung 129-64 in total strikes and secured three of 10 takedown attempts.

Ortega, who decided to cut off his signature lengthy hair and shave his head prior to the fight during a difficult weight cut, was the No. 2-ranked featherweight contender behind Holloway and champion Alex Volkanovski heading into the fight.

UFC president Dana White said prior to the event the winner of Ortega-Jung would get the next shot at Volkanovski, who has defeated Holloway twice in a row by decision – even though the second win at UFC 251 was widely contested by the public and White himself.

There had been talk

Read More

Why David Warner beats Chris Gayle and AB de Villiers to be crowned the IPL’s greatest overseas batsman

The weekend’s dramatic action in the 2020 Indian Premier League reinforced the brilliance of AB de Villiers, David Warner and Chris Gayle.

Gayle’s ability to clear the ropes came to the fore as Kings XI Punjab sealed a desperately needed win over Mumbai Indians with the help of two Super Overs. On the same day, Warner’s valiant innings of 47 nearly stole victory for Sunrisers Hyderabad before Lockie Ferguson rained on their parade via another Super Over.

A day earlier, a sensational 55 from de Villiers had clinched the most improbable of victories for Royal Challengers Bangalore as Jaydev Unadkat faced the music from the South African’s magic bat.

It’s no surprise really, as they are three of the most impactful overseas batsmen in the tournament’s history. Statistically, the trio have been the most prolific foreign batsmen in the competition with a staggering 14, 278 runs scored between them.

Their on-field success has been accompanied by immense off-field popularity, and the three stars have built a loyal legion of fans in cricket crazy India. While they are certainly the cream of the overseas crop, who among them can lay claim to being the all-time best?

CHRIS GAYLE

Image credit – @IPL/Twitter.

Innings: 126

Runs: 4561

Strike-rate: 150.28

Average: 41.09

100/50: 6/29

Orange Cap: 2011 and 2012

On Sunday, Gayle showed what he does best by swatting aside Trent Boult for a huge six off the very first delivery of the Super Over. It set the tone for a comfortable Kings XI Punjab victory, after both teams had struggled to score boundaries in the previously tied set of Super Overs.

That maximum struck by the self-titled ‘Universe Boss’ was the 333rd of his IPL career, a tally which is 101 more than any other batsman in the competition’s history. He doesn’t

Read More

US performing arts groups struggle amid pandemic

People walk past a closed broadway theater near Time Square on Oct. 12, 2020 in New York City. Image: AFP/Angela Weiss.

Recent weeks have seen the already painful situation facing live performance in the United States grow increasingly dire, with major companies along with Broadway somberly scrapping hope to reopen before next summer and scrambling to find ways to stay in the public eye.

New York’s Metropolitan Opera was the first top outfit to cancel its entire 2020-21 season over the COVID-19 pandemic, followed by the highly bankable Broadway theater district and the city’s famed Philharmonic symphony.

Across the nation company directors are facing similar decisions, with the Boston Symphony Orchestra following the lead of its New York neighbors.

Elsewhere, many organizations are still aiming to open in January 2021 as they pilot ways to stay fresh and avoid falling into the red, but the future appears grim.

Many companies have already budgeted for a season sans spectators in a country where the COVID-19 caseload continues to add about 40,000 new infections daily.

Seattle anticipates a loss of $6 million (P291.4 million) in revenue, as New York’s Philharmonic estimates to lose $20 million (P971.3 million) and the Philadelphia Orchestra more than $25 million (P1.2 billion).

“I always have hope, but I think it is going to be very unlikely we’re going to do anything in front of live audiences anytime soon,” said Matias Tarnopolsky, the director in Philadelphia.

The pandemic has forced layoffs, furloughs and pay cuts across the performing arts, as organizations including the Phil and the Met are bargaining with unions to adapt musicians’ contracts to the financial challenges of the moment.

Government subsidies are not the norm for American orchestras and operas, which rely on donations, wealthy patrons and, to a smaller extent, ticket sales to pay

Read More