Diana enters ‘The Crown,’ presaging more heartache for William and Harry

FILE PHOTO: Princess Diana and Prince Charles look in different directions, November 3, during a service held to commemorate the 59 British soldiers killed in action during the Korean War/File Photo

Princess Diana’s fairytale turned sour enters British television series “The Crown” for the first time this season, opening the door for more heartache for her sons Prince William and Prince Harry.

Focusing on the 1980s, the new season released on Netflix on Sunday, delves into the marriage of Diana and heir to the throne Prince Charles, as well as Diana’s struggles with bulimia and both of their affairs.

It is not the first time that Diana’s life has been dramatized since her death at age 36 in a Paris car crash in 1997. But the constant revisiting of her story piles on the pressure for William and Harry, whether they watch such shows or not, royal experts say.

“After she died, they pleaded with people to let their mother rest in peace because they found it incredibly upsetting,” said British royal biographer Penny Junor.

“I think it’s been really incredibly hard for them,” Junor said. “Maybe they just put the shutters down and they don’t watch and they can close their ears to it all, I don’t know. But I really feel for them.”

Representatives for William and Harry declined to comment on the new season of “The Crown.” Harry, who was 12 when she died, said in 2017 that his mother’s death had “a quite serious effect on not only my personal life but my work as well.”

Diana’s life, which she told through unprecedented television interviews and to Andrew Morton for his 1992 biography “Diana: Her True Story,” has elements of romance, tragedy, lovers and royalty that make it ripe for being revisited multiple times.

Emma Corrin,

Read More

Masters 2020: Dustin Johnson gets the major his incredible consistency deserves

For over a decade, Dustin Johnson’s chase for major championship glory was tinged with disappointment and bad luck.

A two-shot penalty cost him a place in the 2010 PGA Championship play-offs and he subsequently finished in a tie for fifth.

Five years later, he three-putted on the 18th hole to gift Jordan Spieth a one-shot victory at the 2015 US Open.

During his 2016 US Open triumph, he overcame a controversial penalty to win by three-strokes at Oakmont.

Hours before his first round at the 2017 Masters, the pre-tournament favourite withdrew after slipping down the stairs at his rental home near Augusta.

Among his other near-misses was a tie for second behind Tiger Woods at last year’s Masters and a share of second at the PGA Championship in August.

For a man who is brilliance and consistency personified, he held an unfortunate major record of blowing a lead or share of the lead after 54-holes on four occasions.

However on Sunday, the 36-year-old, who grew up 75 miles away from Augusta in South Carolina, ended that unwanted record to dominate the field and secure a five-stroke victory at the Masters.

Johnson played like the number one player in the world, his Masters scoring record of 20-under par every bit as comfortable as the figure suggests.

It’s a victory and major that now separates the Florida resident from the pack of nearly 150 golfers with one major crown and propels him into the precious list of multiple-major winners.

For a decorated professional who pairs his excellence with consistency, slipping on the iconic green jacket for the first time on Sunday evening was thoroughly deserved.

Johnson’s only wobbles came early in the fourth round, missed par puts at 4th and 5th holes reduced his lead from four at the start of the

Read More

Mayweather returns to ring for Feb 2021 Tokyo bout

FILE – Floyd Mayweather looks on prior to the WBC Light Heavyweight title fight between Adonis Stevenson and Badou Jack at Air Canada Centre on May 19, 2018 in Toronto, Canada. Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images/AFP

Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather will return to the ring with a fight in Tokyo in February 2021, organizers said Monday, but who he will fight and under what rules was left unclear.

The retired ex-champ had already dropped hints about the fight, which follows a widely ridiculed 2018 “exhibition” match against a Japanese kickboxer, but organizers offered more details on Monday.

It will be part of an event dubbed “Mega 2021”, being hosted at the Tokyo Dome in the Japanese capital on February 28, the production committee said in a press release.

They said it would feature “champion-class” fighters, including Mayweather, but gave no further details — including who the welterweight star will face, and under what conditions.

Last week the 43-year-old shared a video on Instagram teasing the fight.

“Tokyo, Japan, I’m coming back, in 2021,” he said in the clip.

“I know the Olympics is in Japan in 2021, but me, myself, Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather and my team will be doing something big in Tokyo Dome… Japan, I’m on my way.”

Mayweather retired three years ago, and although he had previously announced he was “coming out of retirement in 2020”, he hasn’t been seen in action this year.

A legend in the boxing world with an unbeaten 50-0 record, Mayweather is no stranger to Japan, where he fought an exhibition match against MMA star Tenshin Nasukawa in December 2018 — the last time he was coaxed out of retirement for a big payday.

Mayweather floored the kickboxer less than half his age three times in the first round before the Japanese fighter’s trainer rushed

Read More