Tyron Woodley favoured vs. Gilbert Burns on Saturday UFC odds

Tyron Woodley will be looking to rebound from a loss to Kamaru Usman at UFC 235 that cost him the UFC welterweight title when he returns to action on Saturday to face rising star Gilbert Burns as a -190 betting favourite on the UFC odds at sportsbooks monitored by OddsShark.com.

Woodley’s unanimous decision loss as a -210 favourite ended his three-year reign as the UFC welterweight champion, but with just one defeat over his past eight fights he remains the top-ranked contender in the UFC welterweight division going into Saturday night’s bout at the UFC APEX in Las Vegas.

The 38-year-old earned his first submission win since 2009 in his victory over Darren Till at UFC 228, but has more commonly earned narrow victories by decision. In addition to a split decision win over Kelvin Gastelum in a catchweight clash at UFC 183, Woodley saw a pair of memorable clashes with Stephen Thompson go to the judges, who declared their UFC 205 tilt a majority draw before handing Woodley a majority decision at UFC 209 as a -115 wager.

Listed as a +155 underdog for Saturday night, Burns currently rides a five-fight win streak including three straight victories since returning to welterweight. The 33-year-old Brazilian ended Demian Maia’s night with a first-round TKO as a -160 wager in his last outing at UFC Fight Night 170, which marked his fastest victory since joining the UFC in 2014.

Overall, Burns is undefeated in 10 professional fights as a welterweight, including a run of six straight first-round finishes to start his pro career, beginning in 2012. However, he needed a unanimous nod from the judges in two of his three recent welterweight contests. And unlike Woodley, Burns has never seen action in championship rounds while racking up an 18-3 record.

Also on

Read More

MMA legend Vitor Belfort lauds Mike Tyson comeback attempt

Brazilian fighter Vitor Belfort competes against Brazilian fighter Lyoto Machida during their middleweight bout at the Ultimate Fighting Championship 224 (UFC 224) event at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on May 12, 2018. (Photo by MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP)

MANILA, Philippines — From one legendary fighter to another, Vitor Belfort lauded Mike Tyson as the former undisputed heavyweight champion attempts a comeback fight 15 years since hanging up his boxing gloves.

Tyson has been one of the most talked about athletes the past several weeks ever since he spoke about his willingness to fight again for charity last month.

“I think that (to fight again) is a decision Mike has made for himself. It takes a lot of courage to step back in the ring, especially at that age. I admire him for his bravery and wish him the best of luck,” said Belfort, the former UFC light heavyweight champion who is now signed with ONE Championship.

“He needs to train smart, because what used to work for him before might not work for him now. This is new ground he’s discovering for himself, and it’s a wonderful journey.”

During his heyday, Tyson was an unstoppable force. He became the youngest heavyweight champion ever at 20 years old.

But even at his advanced age, Tyson showed in his recent training videos that he can still pack a punch with his speed and power still evident.

As far as his ring return is concerned, nothing is final yet but he’s drawn interest from the likes of UFC legends Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock as well as fellow ex-boxing champions Evander Holyfield and Shannon Briggs.

“He (Tyson) needs to make smart choices,” Belfort said. “The right opponent is key. He needs an opponent that will bring value to

Read More

Geje Eustaquio hopes to build on latest gains

Team Lakay’s Geje Eustaquio prepares to throw punches against Yuya Wakamatsu in ONE: Dawn of Heroes. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines–For someone who had been knocked off his lofty perch, Geje Eustaquio remains an inspired man.

“I really want to build on my last win,” the former ONE Flyweight champion told the Inquirer in Filipino. “That’s why I’m doing my best to improve my arsenal.”

Eustaquio tabbed a rebound victory at the expense of Finland’s Toni Tauru in the promotion’s last event here in November of last year, hiking his win-loss record to 13-8 since losing the crown to Brazilian rival Adriano Moraes.

And like many athletes around the world whose plans were hampered by the coronavirus pandemic, Eustaquio is making the most out of free time to refine his craft.

“I want to develop my wrestling and my accuracy,” he said.

Eustaquio said he is also drawing inspiration from the meteoric rise of his Lakay teammate Danny Kingad, who has become the second-best contender in flyweight just behind MMA icon Demetrious Johnson, and the recent success of the fight stable as a whole. Joshua Pacio has again successfully defended his strawweight throne, while Lito Adiwang, too, is on pace to make his own ascent in the division ladder.

“I feel like their achievements are mine, too,” said the 31-year-old striker said.

Eustaquio, however, acknowledged the fact that the trek back on top won’t be devoid of challenges.

During his 2019 campaign, he suffered an opening-round loss to top contender Yuya Wakamatsu. Also on the horizon as Eustaquio’s biggest hurdles are Reece McLaren and Kairat Akhmetov.

“I know our division is challenging,” he said. “But I know we haven’t fallen far behind.”

“I believe I am one of the veterans in the (flyweight class) and I feel that could

Read More