Jane de Leon laments the postponement of the upcoming Star Cinema “Darna” film, although she understands that safety should come first, especially amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 21-year-old actress, the latest set to take on the titular role, said via Instagram yesterday, Aug. 21, that she is “deeply saddened,” but noted that she agrees with ABS-CBN’s decision.
“I’m deeply saddened by the postponement of the Darna project. However, safety comes first as always,” De Leon said.
She then thanked fans for their support and understanding as her big-screen debut donning the iconic Filipina superhero costume has been delayed indefinitely.
De Leon’s post came with Filipino and English versions of the press statement ABS-CBN made also yesterday to announce the latest development to “Darna” fans.
ABS-CBN cited concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic and the restrictions it has brought upon filming and cinema as reasons for the production’s halt.
The statement came following reports that the film, helmed by Jerrold Tarog, had been scrapped due to its big budget along with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The network also assured the public that the right to Mars Ravelo’s iconic character remains with them despite the film’s postponement.
Prior to the pandemic, the film’s production has been delayed a couple of times for several reasons, such as when Liza Soberano was supposed to take on Darna but backed out after suffering from a finger injury last year.
Prior to Soberano, Angel Locsin was set to reprise her iconic role for the big screen but had to also back out from the project because of health reasons in 2017.
Before Tarrog was hired to helm the film, meanwhile, Erik Matti was initially supposed to direct “Darna,” but Matti and Star Cinema mutually decided to part in 2018 due to creative differences. /ra
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.