MANILA, Philippines — Four-division champion Donnie Nietes is eager to pick up where he left off after signing with MTK Global and D4G Promotions.
MTK Global and D4G Promotions announced the signing of Nietes on Friday.
“I am very happy with this new step in my career. It means so much to me. Being a part of this team is brilliant and I am very grateful,” Nietes, the longest reigning Filipino world champion, said in a press release.
Nietes, who has been idle for almost two years, was free to find a new home when ALA Boxing closed shop last August after 35 years in the business.
“He’s already had tremendous success in his career having won world titles in four-weight classes, and we’re confident of securing some huge fights for him in the always-entertaining super-flyweight division,” Paul Gibson, chief strategy officer of MTK Global, said.
The 38-year-old Nietes has not returned in the ring since beating Kazuto Ioka of Japan for the WBO super flyweight title in December of 2018 in Macau.
But with another opportunity, Nietes has refocused his sights on taking on the biggest names in the division.
“I’m happy with what I’ve achieved so far. The journey has been wonderful and I will forever cherish how I worked hard in building my successful career. I’m not done yet and I am now hoping to get a fight with (Juan) Estrada, (Srisaket) Rungvisai and Chocolatito (Roman Gonzalez).
“I want to be back as soon as possible. Whether it be December or January. I am currently preparing already and I am pleased to be going back in the ring after two years. I will bring pride to MTK Global, D4G Promotions and my country Philippines.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.