ONE Championship events to be held behind closed doors

ONE Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong. ONE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — ONE Championship will continue with its scheduled events through May but will only hold its bout cards on a “closed-door, audience-free” setup, its Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong said on his Facebook account.

The decision came after the spread of COVID-19 that has since become a pandemic after infecting at least 110 countries as of Thursday.

“My team and I decided to turn all events for ONE Championship into closed-door, audience-free events effective immediately,” said Sityodtong. “Bar none, the safety of our fans, athletes, staff, partners, and the public is the highest priority for ONE Championship.”

“All scheduled ONE events with live audiences will now be suspended until at least May 29, 2020, due to the extraordinary COVID-19 global situation.”

ONE has five events lined up until May 29 and it will start to broadcast with an initial schedule of April 17, April 24, May 1, and May 8, with all of these cards happening in Singapore.

ONE Infinity 1 was originally set for Jakarta on April 10, but was moved to the Mall of Asia Arena on May 29.

“We are operating in truly extraordinary times, but my team and I remain committed to providing you the best sports and entertainment action available anywhere on global broadcast today,” said Sityodtong.

“ONE Championship will continue to thrill you with the greatest martial artists on the planet and inspire you with their incredible stories. This virus might be on the attack right now, but I believe in the power of the human spirit.”

JPV

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen

Read More

Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell tests positive for coronavirus

Brooklyn Nets guard Caris LeVert, right, tries to stop Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell (45) as Mitchell drives during the second half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020, in New York. The Jazz won 118-107. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

MANILA, Philippines—All-Star Donovan Mitchell became the second Utah Jazz player to test positive for COVID-19.

According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, Mitchell was the second NBA player to test positive for the virus after teammate Rudy Gobert became the first to get infected.

Making matters worse, Gobert had been careless with his teammates in the locker room with the 7-foot-1 center touching his fellow players’ belongings.

Utah was initially set to play Oklahoma City but the game was eventually postponed after Gobert’s status was made public.

The NBA then suspended the season when the Jazz announced that one of their players tested positive for COVID-19.

“The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic,” said the league in a statement.

The Thunder and Jazz already went into quarantine as well as the other teams that Utah played against in the past 10 days—Cleveland, New York, Boston, Detroit, and Toronto.


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.

What you need to know about Coronavirus.

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Read More

ATP announces 6-week suspension for public health and safety reasons

The ATP suspended all men’s professional tennis tournaments for six weeks because of the COVID-19 pandemic, while the WTA said Thursday it was calling off one event in April and would decide on any further changes to the women’s tour schedule within a week.

After the men’s tour said it would halt ATP Tour and ATP Challenger Tour competition until late April, WTA spokeswoman Amy Binder told The Associated Press the women’s tour was not immediately prepared to do the same.

“At this point in time,” Binder wrote in an email, “we are not looking to put in a 6 week suspension.”

Later, WTA chairman and CEO Steve Simon said the tournament in Charleston, South Carolina, won’t be held as scheduled because of concerns about coronavirus. The clay-court Volvo Car Open was supposed to be April 6-12.

Simon added that the WTA will work with player and tournament leadership to make a decision in the next week about the European clay-court season.

In a further indication of the fractured nature of tennis decision-making, the International Tennis Federation said its lower-tier events would be on hold until April 22; the men’s tour said its tournaments would not resume before the end of that week.

The next Grand Slam tournament, the French Open, is still scheduled to be held in Paris beginning May 24.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.

The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover.

The combined men’s

Read More