Cologne calls worried player to account over virus comments

FILE – In this file photo dated Friday, Aug.23, 2019, Cologne’s Birger Verstraete during the German Bundesliga soccer match against Borussia Dortmund, in Cologne, Germany. Cologne said Sunday May 3, 2020, that Verstraete had given a false impression about training safety measures to protect against the coronavirus at the club, in an interview he gave Saturday with Belgian TV station VTM. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, FILE)

BERLIN — Cologne has called midfielder Birger Verstraete to account for an interview he gave in which he criticized the club for its handing of three positive cases of the coronavirus.

The Bundesliga side said Sunday that Verstraete had given a false impression about training safety measures at the club in an interview Saturday with Belgian TV station VTM. It said it was abiding by the league’s medical advice and that all players would be tested again before training can resume Monday.

In a statement on the club website, Verstraete said, “Instead of giving an interview out of emotion, I should have contacted our doctor and had my questions answered. It was not my intention to blame the responsible authorities or FC Cologne.”

Verstraete had told VTM in an interview Saturday that two players and a physiotherapist were confirmed with COVID-19 and that he was finding it hard to focus on soccer, especially as his girlfriend is at high risk due to a previous heart condition.

“I want everyone to be healthy before we play soccer again,” Verstraete said.

The players had been training in small groups, but that hadn’t eased Verstraete’s concerns.

“We train in two groups and you know that the boys were extremely close to me,” Verstraete told VTM. “The test was done on Thursday around 4pm and before that we had been together constantly from 9am to 3pm. We did fitness

Read More

Fantasy cricket match-ups: How would modern stars face up against legends? Sir Viv Richards takes on Trent Boult

Nothing is more fascinating in cricket than an exhilarating and equal contest between a batsman and a bowler.

Duels between two players at the top of their games always makes for a fascinating rivalry, and cricket has been blessed to witness several of these over the course of its history. From Sachin Tendulkar against Glenn McGrath to Sir Viv Richards against Jeff Thompson, the sport has seen witnessed legendary battles played out across the 22 yards.

However, there are some duels which sound exciting in theory, but shall never materialize on the cricket pitch. These are between players divided by eras, with their respective playing careers failing to intertwine.

In this series, we play out a few such hypothetical match-ups by closely examining the statistics of the players involved. First up is West Indies icon Sir Viv Richards up against New Zealand’s Trent Boult in the Test format.

Sir Viv Richards (right-hand bat)

Playing career: 1974-1991

Innings: 182

Runs: 8540

Centuries: 24

Average: 50.24

A player who was streets ahead of his time, Richards is one of the greatest players to have graced the game. A man who dominated bowlers like no other during his era, Richards combined raw power with equal parts finesse.

A batsman who carried the nonchalant Caribbean swagger every time he strode on to the pitch, Richards if often one of the first names in the debate for the greatest ODI batsman of all time. After all, his strike-rate of above 90 in an era where 60 runs per 100 balls was considered respectable is the very definition of an outlier.

He is a player who would not look out of place at all in the modern era of T20 cricket, and would have relished the prospect of wielding his bat in the sport’s latest innovation

Read More

Alden’s new role: Household ‘runner’ during quarantine

Alden Richards

Alden Richards has expressed misgivings about resuming show biz-related activities any time soon.

“I think it would be difficult to take that risk. In my opinion, it’s too early and it’s not OK to start taping, because there’s a lot of people and physical contact involved,” he said in a recent Q&A session with fans on Instagram Live.

Television and movie production is among the enterprises that will be allowed under general community quarantine (GCQ), which will be implemented in areas with low to moderate risk for Covid-19.Metro Manila, where major networks and film outfits are based, remains high-risk and will still be under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) until May 15. But even if the guidelines for the city were to be relaxed, the 28-year-old actor doubts that the industry could go back to normal operations just like that.

“If ever tapings do push through, I think the workforce will be minimal,” he surmised. “But of course, it’s still up to GMA 7 what their decision would be.”

Unfortunately, it goes without saying that his 10th show biz anniversary concert, set on July 25 at the Araneta Coliseum, won’t be pushing through. “Even if it (ECQ) gets lifted, mass gatherings would will still be banned,” he pointed out. Alden is currently staying at his home in Laguna. And after more than a month without television appearances, the Kapuso star decided to go live on social media because he said he sorely misses interacting with “people who love and support me.” Sporting his “quarantine uniform”—a white shirt and a pair of shorts—he also gave his followers a mini tour of his bedroom and his favorite spots in the house. He showed off his collection of Iron Man suits and action figures, and heaps of other toys that are yet

Read More