K-League kicks off with no crowd, but big broadcast interest

A worker trims the grass on the field at the Jeonju World Cup Stadium in Jeonju, South Korea, Thursday, May 7, 2020. South Korea’s soccer league will kick off the season Friday, three days after the first pitch was thrown in baseball, in yet another sign that life in the country is starting to return to normal after strenuous efforts to contain the coronavirus.(Kim Orel/Newsis via AP)

JEONJU, South Korea — It could be the most significant game of football since the coronavirus pandemic caused the shut down of most leagues around the world.

South Korea’s K-League season kicked off Friday with Jeonbuk Motors hosting Suwon Bluewings in an empty World Cup Stadium in Jeonju.

Foreign interest is suddenly high in the oldest professional soccer league in east Asia, with broadcasters from at least 17 countries recently obtaining rights for the competition and taking the live feed for some games as far away as Germany, India and Australia.

“There had been some interest in the K-League before but the number has surged after the announcement of the league starting,” K-League president Kwon Oh-gap told The Associated Press. “We have completed contracts with a number of countries and are negotiating with other broadcasters.”

While international audiences will be higher than ever for the 12-team league, there’ll be no close up viewing for local fans. No supporters are allowed in stadiums for the K-League games, at least for the first few rounds.

Jeonbuk has been champion for five of the past six years and is aiming to start the season with a victory against the FA Cup holder.

“We want to show what we can do and play some attacking soccer,” Jeonbuk midfielder Kim Bo-kyung said.

For all South Korea’s success in containing the virus — the country has reported 10,822 cases

Read More

Casimero camp eyes July 25 fight vs Inoue

FILE – John Riel Casimero works the mitts with Cuban trainer Pedro Roque. Photo from Team Casimero

MANILA, Philippines—John Riel Casimero’s camp is looking at July 25 as a possible date for a title unification bout against Naoya Inoue,  months after their initial schedule of April 25.

In a story on Philboxing.com, MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons said that they would have a more detailed event plan come “next week.”

“We’ll get a clearer picture of the situation next week,” said Gibbons. “But right now we’re going with the target date of the last Saturday of July, which is July 25.”

Casimero (29-4), the WBO World bantamweight champion, and Inoue (19-0), the holder of the WBA and IBF belts, were originally set to make Las Vegas debuts in April before the COVID-19 pandemic broke.

The Filipino slugger was already in Las Vegas weeks before the bout while Inoue was still in Japan, but the pandemic effectively put a stop to international travels and sporting events indefinitely.

Gibbons said that the July 25 fight date would be perfect for Casimero to train and get into the proper diet before the bout.

“Without a fight date, it’s hard to sustain your intensity in training, it’s hard to focus,” said Gibbons. “But now with a fight date, everyone’s excited and it’s back to serious Monster-hunting business.”

Gibbons added that he’s talked with World Boxing Hall of Famer Akihiko Honda, who’s working closely with Inoue’s team, about The Monster’s commitment to the match.

“I was told by Mr. Honda that Inoue is coming and we’ll be fighting in Las Vegas,” said Gibbons.

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles,

Read More

Andi Eigenmann urges fellow moms to embrace pregnancy stretch marks

Andi Eigenmann (Image: Instagram/@andieigengirl)

Actress Andi Eigenmann imparted a body-positivity message to her fellow moms who might look at their stretch marks as a flaw.

Eigenmann declared that she is proud of the marks left by her pregnancies, as per her Instagram post yesterday, May 7.

The mom of two daughters also believed that consistent exercise, eating healthy and “some trusty [argan] oil” improved her marks over time.

“I often get questions about how I got rid of my stretch marks,” she said. “I don’t know why because as you can see in this photo (just like in a couple of others), I never did!”

The actress accompanied the post with two snapshots of her by the beach while carrying her baby Lilo. Eigenmann was all smiles, sporting a white crop top and a pair of shorts.

Eigenmann mused that it might be an optical illusion that some thought she no longer had stretch marks.

“Maybe with the right angle and good lighting, (or with a super cute distraction like the one [I’m] carrying here LOL), it sometimes seems like it isn’t there,” she said.

Eigenmann also came to the defense of her fellow moms, especially in relation to what they are supposedly allowed to wear.

“[Just] because we have these belly marks, doesn’t mean we aren’t [allowed] to wear your favorite cropped tops and bikinis anymore!” Eigenmann said. “I’ve grown to be more comfortable and proud of them because hey! This body has done amazing things.”

Read More