MLS players agree to salary cuts, possible tournament

FILE – In this April 29, 2018 file photo taken with a fisheye lens, a flag flies at the Banc of California Stadium prior to an MLS soccer game between Los Angeles FC and the Seattle Sounders in Los Angeles. Los Angeles FC will seek a new name for its 2-year-old Banc of California Stadium after a restructuring of the bank’s partnership with the Major League Soccer club. LAFC announced Tuesday, May 26, 2020 that Banc of California will eventually give up its naming rights to the sleek new stadium just south of downtown Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu, file)

The Major League Soccer Players Association voted to approve economic concessions for this season, including across-the-board salary cuts, while also agreeing to play in a proposed summer tournament in Orlando, Florida.

The proposal, made public by the union Sunday night, will now be sent to back to the league for approval by team owners.

“While a difficult vote in incredibly challenging times, it was taken collectively to ensure that players can return to competition as soon as they are safely able to do so,” the MLSPA said in a statement.

The MLS season was suspended March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Teams had played just two games of the season.

Major League Soccer gave its teams the go-ahead Thursday to begin small voluntary group training sessions outdoors. Teams must follow a strict protocol, as well as local public health and government restrictions. Not all of the league’s teams have returned to training.

Details of the Orlando tournament were still under consideration, but the league’s 26 teams and limited staff would be sheltered at hotels with games played without fans at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World.

In addition to salary cuts, the union’s proposal includes

Read More

Carlos Eduardo future presents a complex problem for Al Hilal to solve

Twitter can, at times, be a wonderful place.

Accounts from across Saudi Arabia united last week under the hashtag ادواردو#. Rumours about an impending exit from Al Hilal for skipper Carlos Eduardo had sparked this stream of compliments and video highlights to be curated.

Such salutation is thoroughly merited if a five-year stint in Riyadh for the club’s all-time-leading foreign scorer comes to an end upon his contract’s expiry this summer.

But should the Brazilian attacking midfielder’s departure be fated after 53 goals from 90 Saudi Professional League games and seven major trophies? Especially when the presence of Italy maestro Sebastian Giovinco caused him to sit out the final pursuit of 2019 AFC Champions League glory, plus be regularly shunted into an unnatural wide-left role for domestic duties.

The future of an undisputed modern great is a complex problem for the administration to unpick. There are no simple answers.

iG Esporte’s revelation showed plenty of options exist for Eduardo. An appealing renewal proposal from Hilal, after months of prevarication, has joined offers from a quartet of major Brazilian clubs (Corinthians, Jorge Jesus’ Flamengo, Gremio and Athletico Paranaense).

Eduardo’s contract is scheduled to expire at the end of this month, but a short-term extension is likely because of March’s postponement of the 2019/20 season.

Arriyadiyah newspaper have also reported consistent links to 2020 ACL group-stage opponents Shabab Al Ahli Dubai Club. The player himself was non-committal when quizzed by the same publication earlier this month.

Carlos Eduardo celebrates a goal against Al Ittihad (EPA).

“I have two months left in my contract with Al Hilal, and I will wait until the last day, then I will make a decision regarding my future in respect of the club and my contract that applies to him,” said the 30-year-old.

Overtures from

Read More

Curtis Cokes, Hall of Fame welterweight champion, dies at 82

FILE – In this April 1969 file photo, welterweight boxer Curtis Cokes trains for his fight against Joe Napoles in Los Angeles. Cokes, the Hall of Fame welterweight who became Dallas’ first world champion in 1966, has died. He was 82. Erwin “Sparky” Sparks, Cokes’ partner at the Home of Champions gym, told The Dallas Morning News that Cokes died Friday, May 29, 2020, after a week in hospice. (AP Photo, File)

DALLAS — Curtis Cokes, the Hall of Fame welterweight who became Dallas’ first world champion in 1966, has died. He was 82.

Erwin “Sparky” Sparks, Cokes’ partner at the Home of Champions gym, told The Dallas Morning News that Cokes died Friday after a week in hospice.

Cokes took the World Boxing Association welterweight title in 1966 belt with a unanimous decision over Manny Gonzalez in New Orleans and added the World Boxing Council crown three months later with a unanimous decision over Jean Josselin at Dallas’ Memorial Auditorium.

Cokes lost the titles to Jose Napoles in 1969 at the Forum outside Los Angeles, and dropped a rematch soon after in Mexico City.

Inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2003, the 5-foot-8 Cokes fought 80 times from 1958 to 1972, finishing 62-14-4 with 30 knockouts. He later trained fighters at his gym.

Cokes starred in basketball and baseball at Dallas’ Booker T. Washington High School.


Read Next


EDITORS’ PICK


MOST READ

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries,
Read More