Fernando Alonso returning to F1 next season with Renault

SPIELBERG, Austria — Although Fernando Alonso will be 39 when he returns to Formula One next season with Renault he feels his reflexes and racing craft will not weaken with age.

His widely anticipated F1 return was became official on Wednesday, when the French manufacturer announced that he will replace Daniel Ricciardo next year.

Alonso won both of his world titles with Renault way back in 2005 and ’06, but still looked sharp driving an uncompetitive car during his last season with McLaren in 2018 before walking away.

“The stopwatch is the only thing that matters, not the age,” he said Wednesday during a media session. “I never had a classification on the race based on the passport, my date of birth. It’s always on stopwatch. Hopefully we’re still fast.”

That remains to be seen considering Renault struggled last season, finishing fifth in the constructors’ championship and one place behind McLaren, the team it supplies engines to.

But he certainly feels in good enough shape to take up the challenge.

“I had to start very specific fitness preparations, I started in February, so now I’m 100%,” he said. “We did a couple of fitness tests 15 days ago and I had the best results ever in my career, so I’m extremely motivated, happy and stronger than ever.”

However, because of rule changes teams will use the same cars for 2021 and Alonso may not have a genuinely competitive car until 2022, when he will turn 41 in late July.

“I will try to do my best, and try and help the team be a world champion team. If that’s with me driving, fantastic but if that’s with a future younger driver, I will feel proud anyway,” he said. “I think the 2022 rules will hopefully bring some fairness to the

Read More

Justin Thomas seeking third PGA Tour victory this season at Muirfield

When the golf season came to an abrupt pause amid the pandemic, Justin Thomas made frequent trips to the Medalist Golf Club for money matches against fellow pros.

He faced Tiger Woods one day and took on Rickie Fowler in an 18-hole game where they used vintage persimmon clubs and then played left-handed.

It was all fun and games, a chance to stay ticking over during the enforced break to the campaign.

However, since the resumption of the PGA Tour calendar nearly a month ago, Thomas is looking back to his sterling best.

Now this weekend, he enters the Memorial Tournament as the overwhelming favourite.

The American strung together a pair of top-10 finishes at Colonial and Harbour Town before missing the cut at the Travelers Championship two weeks ago.

He didn’t play in Detroit last week, but will be bidding for a tour-leading third victory this season.

It’s been a case of Jekyll and Hyde for the 27-year-old at Muirfield, with two top-10 finishes in the last three years.

He has missed three cuts in his six starts which underlines his inconsistencies on this course.

Nevertheless, he is a class act, a player that can cut through the field on his day.

So far this season, he has played in 12 events and made nine cuts. He has two wins, three top-5s, three top-10s and one top-20.

And while the Louisville native may not capture the same limelight as Rory McIlroy or Brooks Koepka, he is nearly on par with two of the best players in the game.

McIlroy may have the wins and towering distance, and Koepka has all the majors, however, Thomas possesses the game from tee to green. The scary thing is he is only 27.

His 12 wins since the start of 2014-15 season are

Read More

UFC 251: Max Holloway happier to spread a little happiness than reclaim featherweight gold

Max Holloway is a man who has always known he is Blessed.

Stepping into the Octagon this weekend to take on Alexander Volkanovski in an attempt to regain his UFC Featherweight crown, he knows it more than ever.

Amid a global pandemic that has killed more than half a million people around the world, Holloway will return to work on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi, and potentially rise to the top of his division once again.

But, at the forefront of his mind, are those less fortunate.

Those who are suffering in terms of health or finance as we all struggle to come to terms with the life-altering circumstances many find themselves in.

On top of the work he has been doing to help those in his native Hawaii, Holloway had already announced he will auction off his fight gear to raise funds for those less fortunate.

But, when the opening bell sounds on Sunday morning local time, the 28-year-old has something bigger on his mind than a UFC title.

“With this fight, I hope it can take people away from their problems at little bit,” he said.

“Enjoy the fight, enjoy the whole event and get lost in it a little bit. It’s a little relief, a little break. These time are hard, this pandemic is super-serious, it’s super-crazy. However long the fight it, 25-minutes or one minute, if I can brighten your day, and take you away from everything that is happening in the world right now that would be a win – a big win. One bigger than actually winning this fight to be honest.”

Much has been made in the build-up of Holloway’s inability to spar during camp, and the bulk of his training on Zoom.

Now he must step into the Octagon against one of

Read More