Fury hungry to repeat Wilder win in rematch

Tyson Fury punches Deontay Wilder during their Heavyweight bout for Wilder’s WBC and Fury’s lineal heavyweight title on February 22, 2020 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Al Bello/Getty Images/AFP

Tyson Fury says he will never tire of beating Deontay Wilder in anticipation of his third fight against the American heavyweight, even though his potential all-British showdown with Anthony Joshua is on hold for now.

Following a controversial draw in December 2018, Fury overpowered Wilder in Las Vegas in February, beating him in seven rounds.

Wilder has activated the rematch clause in his contract, delaying the possibility of a hugely anticipated unification bout between WBC champion Fury and Anthony Joshua, who holds the WBA, IBF and WBO titles.

It is now hoped Fury and Wilder will meet for a third bout later this year after the original date of July 18 was scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’ll be obliged to give him a bit more,” Fury told the Good Morning Britain television programme on Tuesday. “You never tire of beating Deontay Wilder. It’s one of those things you take great pride in doing.

“I really did what I said I was going to do and not many people, in boxing especially, say something and then do exactly what they were going to do.”

Fury, unbeaten as a professional, added: “So I was quite proud of the performance and I’m really looking forward to getting all this coronavirus out of the way and the world getting back on track and getting back to my job.”

With regular training not possible due to a lockdown in Britain, Fury has been working out alongside wife Paris and his five children in fitness sessions broadcast on Instagram Live.

“It helps me stay in shape and helps many, many people

Read More

Whyte fight ‘off’ but Hearn eyes boxing return behind closed doors

Britain’s Dillian Whyte (L) fights Finland’s Robert Helenius during their WBC silver Heavyweight Championship at The Principality Stadium in Cardiff on October 28, 2017. (Photo by ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP)

Dillian Whyte’s heavyweight clash with Alexander Povetkin is set to become the latest victim of coronavirus but boxing could return behind closed doors in June, according to British promoter Eddie Hearn.

“We will make an official announcement today (about the Whyte fight) but basically, yes (the show is off),” Hearn told Talksport radio on Monday.

“The problem is nobody knows, but we all hope we can return to some kind of boxing in June.

“Whether that’s behind closed doors at first, or whether that’s back with small-hall shows then we hope we can get to the bigger shows before the end of June.”

Britain’s Whyte was due to take on Russia’s Povetkin on May 2 in Manchester.

Britain is also home of heavyweight champions Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua and Fury’s recent win against American Deontay Wilder has led to talk of an all-British showdown.

Hearn said July 25 would be a more realistic date for Joshua’s defence of his IBF, IBO and WBA title belts against Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

He said the scheduled date of June 20 could fall within the domestic football season if it was resumed.

“I know there’s a bigger picture going on but everyone in sport right now needs to be working on a solution,” said Hearn.

“It’s going to be an horrifically messy time for sports and businesses when we do come out of the other side, because the world won’t be the same again.”


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.

What you need to know about Coronavirus.

For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH

Read More

British boxer Yarde’s father dies of coronavirus

FILE – Anthony Yarde. AP Photo

British boxer Anthony Yarde urged the public to stay at home after revealing his father has died of the coronavirus.

Yarde, who fought Sergey Kovalev for the Russian’s cruiserweight world title last year, said his father had been “fit with no health issues”.

Like many parts of the world, Britain is under a lockdown in a bid to stop the spread of the pandemic.

There have been over 17,000 confirmed cases in Britain and Yarde, 28, called on people to respect the situation and stay at home.

“I’m a very private person and tbh I’m still in shock but maybe this can help people stay at home,” Yarde wrote on Instagram.

“My dad passed away from this virus yesterday and he was fit with no health issues. The more people go out and mingle the longer this isolation will last and the more it will spread.

“I’m not a doctor but I do know if you stay home you are less likely to catch it or pass it on. It’s seriously not worth the risk.”

A statement from Yarde’s promoter Frank Warren said: “Frank Warren and everyone at Queensberry Promotions would like to express sincere condolences to Anthony Yarde and his family after the untimely passing of his father.

“Coronavirus is an issue affecting all of us, but that doesn’t make the individual casualties any less tragic.

“We hope that his fans listen to Anthony’s heartfelt plea for people to take the government’s advice seriously so we can try and minimise the suffering of others.”


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.

What you need to know about Coronavirus.

For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on
Read More