UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones pleads guilty to 2nd DWI offence

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones has pleaded guilty to his second drunken driving offence in New Mexico.

Court records show the 32-year-old mixed-martial arts fighter entered his plea Tuesday and was sentenced to one year of supervised probation. Jones also was ordered to complete a minimum of 90 days of out-patient treatment, pay maximum fines and fees, and complete community service.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped other charges of possession of an open container, no proof of insurance, and negligent use of a deadly weapon.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped other charges of possession of an open container, no proof of insurance, and negligent use of a deadly weapon.

In a statement, Jones apologized for disappointing family members, friends and fans.

“I accept full responsibility for my actions and I know that I have some personal work to do which involves the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol,” Jones said.

Jones was arrested last week in Albuquerque on suspicion of aggravated DWI, negligent use of firearms, possession of an open container of alcohol, and no proof of insurance for a vehicle, police said.

Police said Jones was found at about 1 a.m. in the driver’s seat of a parked vehicle with the engine running. Authorities said Jones showed signs of intoxication, and a handgun and a half-empty bottle of liquor were in the vehicle.

In 2015, Jones pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident stemming from

Read More

COVID-19 forces cancellation of Boxing HOF induction ceremony

CANASTOTA, N.Y. — The International Boxing Hall of Fame has cancelled its Hall of Fame weekend in June because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Executive director Ed Brophy said Sunday that this year’s class will be honoured at the induction ceremony in June 2021.

Brophy said combining this year’s class with next year’s into one ceremony will “provide each inductee with the recognition they each so richly deserve.”

The Class of 2020 includes the first female honorees in Barbara Buttrick, Christy Martin, and Lucia Rijker, along with Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, “Sugar” Shane Mosley, Frank Erne, and Paddy Ryan.

Also selected were promoters Lou DiBella, Kathy Duva and Dan Goossen, and journalists Bernard Fernandez and Thomas Hauser.

The official plaques for the members of the Class of 2020 will be on display at the Hall of Fame beginning in June, Brophy said.

Source link Read More

Belingon eyes May 29 return vs Lineker in Manila

Photo from ONE Championship

MANILA, Philippines—Raring to get back inside the cage, Kevin Belingon already has a potential opponent in mind for his next fight.

Belingon, the former ONE world bantamweight champion has set his sights on a dangerous foe in Brazil’s John Lineker.

The 32-year-0ld Belingon (20-7) was once atop the bantamweight division when he beat Bibiano Fernandes to become the undisputed champion in November 2018 but his trilogy against the mighty Brazilian ended in two straight losses.

The Team Lakay stalwart, though, wants to make a splash in his return and a match against Lineker (32-9) is a solid prospect for him.

“It will be exciting if they give me John Lineker. It will be a very good match,” said Belingon in ONE Championship’s official website.

“You see how he fights? He has excellent striking, and he is really good. So if we cross paths, it will be a barn burner, for sure.”

Belingon’s last two fights in the promotion both ended in losses, a disqualification and a submission defeat, against Fernandes while Lineker handled Muin Gafurov via unanimous decision in his debut in October 2019.

Before jumping to ONE Championship, Lineker enjoyed a brilliant career in the UFC, racking up a 12-4 record.

Belingon added that he wants his comeback to happen on May 29 in ONE Infinity 1 at Mall of Asia Arena.

“The most important thing is to get back to my winning ways and compete for the title once more. That’s the goal – to get back on top and get the belt.”

Read Next

EDITORS’ PICK

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download

Read More